When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SSD crystal vs. gen SD crystal side by side

bklm1234

Thanks to Jay (cskent69) who sent me his gen SD crystal, I was able to take these pics.

Left is SSD, right is gen. Don't worry about the portion below the bevel, gen and SSD have different ways to handle the crystal under the bezel insert. We only need to worry about the external appearance. Notice the top portion of the SSD crystal is thicker than that of the gen SD crystal and the bevel on the SSD crystal is more slanted. That's what I've been saying, wanting to fix (by custom making one). Shorter top and less slanted bevel will very likely let the rehaut thickness show through, an added bonus.

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

- bk

so whats the plan of attack on this one?!?!

i had been waiting for jay to send this to The Zigmeister since the arrival of this model! sadly, the gen was smaller in diameter than the ssd...

i would be in for a few of these if we can get them to someone to re-construct it...

my only question is... looking at the differences... can a crystal be replicated correctly? it looks as if the ssd crystal requires more meat taken out of the bottom of it...

i agree that with the lesser angle would show off the rehaut better and should at least look "less distorted"... (in theory)

in looking at these in the flat position, i also think that the sides should be clear as opposed matte finish... whatcha think??

EDIT: one last thing... anyway we could utilize the notch in the crystal like the gen by using a custom gasket as well???

Edited by poopypants

Gen doesn't fit the rep unfortunately, I've tried.

Which dealer is the rep crystal pictured above from? There's a dealer on repgeek called Super Mirrors that has a slightly different, albeit inferior SD rep, where the crystal has the correct gen-like bevel, and appears to be the same size as the SSD rep from PT & Josh. It even has a much less obvious etching @ 6 o'clock.

Edited by gioarmani

If there is enough volume - then it should not be too expensive. Check out krysworks. Also - i know that there is some place out there which will actually replicate any crystal (might have been in mineral glass only though). I can't remember. Lets hope that bk can get this made. The factories should be willing to do it since it actually would not be infringing on anyone anyway.

I think making a fatter gasket to take a gen crystal is not a viable solution. First the gasket might be too prominent, big fat grey band around the crystal, etc. Second below the bevel, you can see the 2 crystals have different ways to fit into the cases, i.e. the case constructions are different besides dimensions being different.

I'm shooting to make the top portion (bevel and above) the same as gen, bottom portion the same as SSD's. That should do it. Wish me luck.

-bk

If there is enough volume - then it should not be too expensive. Check out krysworks. Also - i know that there is some place out there which will actually replicate any crystal (might have been in mineral glass only though). I can't remember. Lets hope that bk can get this made. The factories should be willing to do it since it actually would not be infringing on anyone anyway.

I lost confidence in Kryswork's crystals. I paid $60+ for a sub and a SD crystal thinking they are constructed exactly like gens. When I got them I was more confused. Then I got Jay's gen SD crystal. I know now Kryswork's SD is drastically thinner than gen. As a matter of fact, I don't see how it can even fit into a SD case. Did I get the wrong model crystal? I wonder.

I'll take pics of Kryswork's SD crystal side by side with Jay's gen SD crystal.

-bk

• 6 months later...