When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

prblms wqith customs

cleobis

Hi I ordered a watch and it has arrived in portugal the 28th of december. On the 9th of Jan it was sent to customs temporary deposit, where it has been ever since. This weel I sent an email asking what the prblm was....they replied me that I had to send a receipt or proof of payment of the object so that they can take it out of customs and send it to me....

What should I do? nothing and give it as lost?

thks

cheers

If customs is holding the watch, they probably already know it is a fake. I do not know what the laws are in your country pertaining to the buying of contraband (fake trademarked) goods, but I suspect the watch was held for that reason. Therefore, I would either let them have the watch & contact the seller. If you really want it, I would find some way to claim it without admitting that you purchased it. Maybe send them a letter stating that you are a journalist and the watch was sent to you (by the watch company) to review for an article you are writing (make sure your letter is well-written & spell checked or they will never believe you are a journalist). That way, you have 'plausible deniability' & it is difficult for them to prove that you purchased contraband goods.

Hi I ordered a watch and it has arrived in portugal the 28th of december. On the 9th of Jan it was sent to customs temporary deposit, where it has been ever since. This weel I sent an email asking what the prblm was....they replied me that I had to send a receipt or proof of payment of the object so that they can take it out of customs and send it to me....

What should I do? nothing and give it as lost?

thks

cheers

Whatever you do, DO NOT fake any documents, or ask your dealer to do it. I suggest you contact your dealer and ask exactly what kind of info they put on the package w.r.t. price and customs info (gift/comm. sample a.s.o.) if any. The less info, the better your situation is.

If they didn't mention price or other info that proves that you paid for it, AND stated a private (or fake) sender, claim it is a gift. Some dealer do this in a quite clever way, others not.

If you can't use this method, the question cannot be answered without knowing more details (payment method,

well seller told me he wrote gift in the box, I'll go with that....I'm gonnas say it is a gifdt and as such I have no receipt...you think it might work?

cheers

I would give it a try. Unless they are able to link it to a financial transaction from you to the sender, they have no reason to hold it further (except for the fact it's a rep of course...but thats a different cup of tea). Remember that the risk that they will use time investigating a small matter like this is minimal, on the other hand never underestimate them when they have started to be curious. Be prepared to answer additional questions when you contact them.

By the way, I found info that the Customs Information System was approved for implementation by your government a few years back, so it's probably operational now. To what extent financial transactions are useable in CIS with a certain level of accuracy depends on how well your banking and other payment systems are developed with respect to data interchange (with authorities) and transparency. For most countries, money in an envelope is now the only non-traceable payment method for amateurs like us B)

Good luck !

I would give it a try. Unless they are able to link it to a financial transaction from you to the sender, they have no reason to hold it further (except for the fact it's a rep of course...but thats a different cup of tea). Remember that the risk that they will use time investigating a small matter like this is minimal, on the other hand never underestimate them when they have started to be curious. Be prepared to answer additional questions when you contact them.

By the way, I found info that the Customs Information System was approved for implementation by your government a few years back, so it's probably operational now. To what extent financial transactions are useable in CIS with a certain level of accuracy depends on how well your banking and other payment systems are developed with respect to data interchange (with authorities) and transparency. For most countries, money in an envelope is now the only non-traceable payment method for amateurs like us B)

Good luck !

I have never heard of Customs Information System before your post on it. Can you provide more information on where I my discover if Canada is on the system? I am curious. Thank you

I have never heard of Customs Information System before your post on it. Can you provide more information on where I my discover if Canada is on the system? I am curious. Thank you

Canada is not connected; this is a system used by the member states of EU (+ a few more), however you might have similar setups in other countries as well. The WTO and WCO are targeted by EU to cooperate in this field.

You can find some general info about CIS and it's intended use in official EU documents here:

http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l11016.htm

http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l26057a.htm

http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l11037.htm

jens