When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strap Shipping Issues?

alant

Hi dear all, I would like to know if there are issues of shipping exotic straps out from the United States to lets say Asian countries? The reason is that croc & alligator seems to fall under the endangered protection Act, so not sure if there any issues of getting through the United States customs? Please advice, thanks in advance. ;)

Hi dear all, I would like to know if there are issues of shipping exotic straps out from the United States to lets say Asian countries? The reason is that croc & alligator seems to fall under the endangered protection Act, so not sure if there any issues of getting through the United States customs? Please advice, thanks in advance. ;)

I had issues with a gator strap shipped to US from EU .... call Homeland Security and ask.. not illegal to ask.. i think only reptile hide going to overseas .. then coming backafter it has been manufactured into a retail product do you need CITES certificate.. but .. just call with a caller ID block on your phone and inquire.. it may be totally legal, rather than guess..i have no trouble sending it to Canada ... but I'm not sure about Asia.. it would not be US customs involved but the country that it is being sent to..

Hi Alant! It's been a hectic weekend, but don't worry, I will get back to your PM. :)

As for the exotic hides, SO FAR, I haven't had any probs. I've ordered an ostrich leg from ABP (France), two ostriches from Mac/Waccex from Germany, kangaroo from Hong Kong, crocs and gators from the Far East, and other exotics which I can't think of at the moment. They all arrived in good time, without problems in my corner of the USA.

I wish you good luck either way!

it is really the luck of the draw.. if wild life and game chooses to open your parcel "to the US" and it is without the proper CITIES certificate it will be contacted and sent to the forensic lab for inquiry as to the type of Hyde... if it is determined to be on the Endangered species list (reptile) then it will be confinscated. this has happened once to me,.. my other parcels were not opened.. (mainly reptile from Canada).. so it is not guaranteed..

but I believe you are inquiring about reptile straps being sent "from" the US to Asia.. therefore this is easily answered by making a call.. if it is not legal without a cities certificate and it is going to say a country such as Japan.. then that would be cause for concern.. if it is going to say China or other Asian countries then you take your chances and hope for the best.

BTW... CITIES certificates are very troublesome to obtain (I answer your question with facts that I have experienced so "you" can decide what's best...)

Hi everybody thanks for sharing, I appreciate the input. In fact, my local CITES authority just got back to me. I was told I don't need any CITES certificate to get the croc strap into my country. But instead I was told that for croc straps to be shipped out from the United States, it does require CITES approval as it falls under the endangered Protection Act within the United States.

Then again, there are quite a few strap dealers operating in the States too, so they just shipped the straps out without any issues as I don't think they will go through the hassle with the CITES application?

As long as you know the risk.. it may be very minimal but it is there none the less... it should be fine.. up to you to play the odds

good luck

Edit Add.. the rule is .. you are not a commercial business.. if you ship without a CITES certificate and are commercial the penalty is greater.. but as a consumer and if you are sending the strap out as a gift then the worst that can happen is it would be confinscated.. and yes most don't go through the hassle of obtaining a CITIES certificate... as I say .. everything should be fine.. but I do not like to say 100 % that it will never happen (confinscation) so with this in mind I play the odds. and I think they are in our favour ... just luck of the draw like the reps in our hobby..IMHO

Then again, there are quite a few strap dealers operating in the States too, so they just shipped the straps out without any issues as I don't think they will go through the hassle with the CITES application?

I would risk it, but since I don't have money to burn possibly like you, I would give these guys a go first:

http://www.internationalwatchman.com/exotic.html

DIRT cheap croc and other exotic straps.