When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Adventures in Pam Land

rogerwine

Having not purchased a new rep in 6 months I have been jonesing since the New Year to bite on one of the new Pam autos and also from a Repgeek thread about a Pam 172 Tantalum. So I bit and ordered the 164 from Josh and got it in record time, and guess what? No "L Swiss Made L" by the 6 at the bottom of the dial. Just my luck ! So now I am waiting for a new dial to arrive (Josh was very good about the issue) and then when it comes in, the watch and new dial will go to Vacuum for re-lume and swap-out. I also ordered the 172 from Davidsen. Why Davidsens' model? Well I fancied the Titanium oxide over Stainless Steel because it might present a different look from a straight Titanium case ( Even though it may not wear from use, as well) and it had the correct E movement with swan neck. But the caseback was not engraved and then he informed me that he could not get anymore E movements w/swan neck, either Swiss or Asian. So I had him put on a 177 titanium caseback ( The gen has been reported to have a Titanium caseback instead of Tantalum). At least the caseback will be engraved ( obviously the wrong series numbers) and may present the proper look. I am also getting the Titanium oxide caseback with it as well. He has put in an H series movement w/swan neck, which is now not correct. So it will be going to Vacuum as well to switch out the H series for an Asian E series swan neck and also correct the lume if needed. In the meantime I located a OEM tantalum strap for the watch and it is also on its way. Wow what a convoluted journey this has become, trying to overcome some of the flaws on these watches. The Pam 172 Tantalum has turned into a bit of an obsession and expensive to boot. All of this for a set of "blue hands" on a Pam. I have now spent $748.00 on 2 new watches (Including the OEM strap) with probably a possible @$475.00 + more to go. Thank god this only happens once every 6 months.

Rogerwine

Yes, the correct markings are on the watch advertised. I would not have bought it if they were not on the watch. I have heard that some new 104s are being shipped without the L Swiss Made L as well. So I guess the LswissL crew all left for Chinese New Year a bit early. Joshua realized the issue immediately as well.

Rogerwine