When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The beginning of a new project 16610 Sub

llsteve80

I'm building a sub based on a Noobmariner, with solid mid link/end pieces bracelet, (although I may spring for a gen bracelet if I can find one for basically a steal,) eta 2824-2, gen crown and aftermarket bezel.

Ok, so the Noob dial seems to be the fav, and at least on some of them the rehaut looks OK, as well as the over all case shape. I will be modding the crown guards a little bit, and I think the case will be very close.

The bracelet I have for it looks great, it's new, from Josh, but I may put the endpieces off of the Noob bracelet on this one. (Rubber clamps)

The thing that is going to bother me is the date mag, the Noobs aren't 2.5x like the top of the line models and of course the gen.

Does anyone out there know if any other crystals can be fitted to this case? Or am I going to have to swap out the cylclops only?

I have what may be a gen cyclops, but it's old and scratched up a little.

Oh and I need a datewheel overlay too. Anyone know where besides cubic-works has them? I think he only has open 6's and 9's

This is the watch I bought from Cool-arrow this week btw.

Anyone reading this and seeing something more I should do (besides buy an MBW case B) ) let me know.

Especially let me know if you want to sell any of these parts!

Hi,

ETA 2824-2 shouldn't allign correctly, an ETA 2836-2 will do.

Noob dw is the best (not the wrong bold version some seller had before), as well as the dial.

BTW cubic-works has pics of the open 6 and 9, but he actually sends the closed 6 and 9 version.

About the bracelet.. gen strap has hollow mid links and solid end links, not solid mid links. Noob bracelet is really good, and I'm almost sure that a gen bracelet wouldn't fit your noobmariner.

As far as the date mags go, a lot of the Newbs are closer to gen, than the old wives tale of a date window that fils the cyclops eye:

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

But a different crystal and/or cyclops eye doesn't make that much of a difference in magnification. It's primarily the depth of the rehaut that determines this (like objects appear bigger in a magnifying glass, the further you pull the glass away); the deeper the rehaut, the bigger the date mag--but again, the problem with some reps is because of their deeper rehaut, the date mag is too big.

As far as the bracelet goes, the Newb bracelet is the best, but the clasp stampings leave something to be desired--just buy a $48 "perfect" bracelet from Josh, and swap the clasp & buckle out.

Edited by gioarmani

Hi,

ETA 2824-2 shouldn't allign correctly, an ETA 2836-2 will do.

Noob dw is the best (not the wrong bold version some seller had before), as well as the dial.

BTW cubic-works has pics of the open 6 and 9, but he actually sends the closed 6 and 9 version.

About the bracelet.. gen strap has hollow mid links and solid end links, not solid mid links. Noob bracelet is really good, and I'm almost sure that a gen bracelet wouldn't fit your noobmariner.

Gen strap will fit maybe with the painstaking process of switching the endlinks. Another problem with doing that is the Gen and rep parts may not sit together properly. The only reason I want to use a solid mid link is because of the weight. Noob bracelets are pretty light.

As for the 2824, i tried it already, but never bothered keeping it in the old watch: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=54283&hl=

As far as the date mags go, a lot of the Newbs are closer to gen, than the old wives tale of a date window that fils the cyclops eye:

But a different crystal and/or cyclops eye doesn't make that much of a difference in magnification. It's primarily the depth of the rehaut that determines this (like objects appear bigger in a magnifying glass, the further you pull the glass away); the deeper the rehaut, the bigger the date mag--but again, the problem with some reps is because of their deeper rehaut, the date mag is too big.

As far as the bracelet goes, the Newb bracelet is the best, but the clasp stampings leave something to be desired--just buy a $48 "perfect" bracelet from Josh, and swap the clasp & buckle out.

Thats good about the date mag, that looked like quite a hassle. Nice tutorial on the Sub/seadweller mods BTW.

I can recommend the Noob dial, bracelet, date overlay, and even case back but not case. You want an old school case if you can find one to do it right.

Perhaps. Do you mean a lug-holes case? I thought the noob case had a pretty good shape to it.

Maybe I should just put it together as a Noob, and start a 1680 if I'm going to get a new case. Then I have 2 good watches, and less money! I love it.

You don't wear that? What a shame. With the rehaut on the noob case, its ok, I have most of the parts so I'm just looking to step the watch up a couple notches since I have to do a few things. Then when I really do get around to a 1680 I can hopefully get it right on the 1st try.

I just thought of this, can I make it an LV? I can't remember is its a 5 or 3 tick dial on the gen LV subs. Noobmariner is 5 ticks...