When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who can help me fix this J12?

shawn_w

I wasn't aware that this watch was 'plated' with ceramic, I thought it was solid. If this was your perception too- contact your dealer and express your disappointment, and he may just have you paypal him 30 USD for a replacement (happened to me twice under similar circumstances). Otherwise, and this is just an unproven idea- buy some JB Weld, form it to the chip quickly and shape it flush, let dry and wet-sand if necessary, then paint chip with ceramic white appliance touch-up paint. Here is a dealer who has one similar for $77 shipped (on the slow boat), maybe that would be easier.

http://www.houseofsouvenirs.com/index.htm

It's not ceramic, but it looks like it. Description says 'quartz' but my wife's sweeps smooth...

DSC01155.JPG

Good luck, Arty

I wasn't aware that this watch was 'plated' with ceramic, I thought it was solid. If this was your perception too- contact your dealer and express your disappointment, and he may just have you paypal him 30 USD for a replacement (happened to me twice under similar circumstances). Otherwise, and this is just an unproven idea- buy some JB Weld, form it to the chip quickly and shape it flush, let dry and wet-sand if necessary, then paint chip with ceramic white appliance touch-up paint. Here is a dealer who has one similar for $77 shipped (on the slow boat), maybe that would be easier.

http://www.houseofsouvenirs.com/index.htm

It's not ceramic, but it looks like it. Description says 'quartz' but my wife's sweeps smooth...

Good luck, Arty

Some fun beaters on there. Is this guy on any of the forums?

I wasn't aware that this watch was 'plated' with ceramic, I thought it was solid. If this was your perception too- contact your dealer and express your disappointment.

From the dealers website.

CASE MATERIAL: 100% Full Ceramic Case

BRACELET: 100% Full Ceramic Bracelet with spring-loaded deployant clasp

The picture from the dealers site all coincide with the features on my girls watch. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that if this isn't actually ceramic, then this dealer has been basically ripping people off. I unfortunately will not have anything to do with said dealer because of his actions concerning previous issues with this watch and his lack of concern in quickly rectifying the issues at hand. If I need to go to a modder, I have no issues with that. But, I either will attempt to fix this watch, if possible, or will end up replacing it with a nice Datejust.

Edited by shawn_w

Looks like a solid ceramic mid case to me... (with a steel case back and anchor for lugs & case screws)

If you ever did any body work with bondo, you might be able to pull something reasonable off with JB Weld...

Don't doubt the little lady too quickly... torsional forces from bending the wrist could have pushed the band against the ceramic lug, creating more pressure (through leverage) than it could withstand... there could have been a flaw... and, these things aren't made of the same quality ceramic as the Gens...

Oh, I understand that the materials are the same. I just know for certain that for the last 2 months this watch was sitting in it's box waiting for parts to show on the slow boat from China. And it was undamaged when I pinned the bracelet back together. The problem is that I don't have the missing piece that broke off, which make me wonder exactly what happened.

So far I guess that Im just going to have her wear the watch if she has no problem with it and if she would like, I will track down a good Datejust and she can kick in half. I just wish that she would admit to dropping it. She knows that I spent more on her watch that I have spent on my own.

You guys are great and very helpful. Im surprised at how quickly the responses were. I will definitely be spending more time over here than at the other watch forum that Im on.