When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

100th Post Later with $100

Guest asad

Do you know how anoying it is to look at a watch face where the hands dont line up properly , for example when the hour hand is directly at 12 and the mineut hand it at 10 too!

Is there any way i can reset it to re-aligning the hands?

Congratulations.

What I love about your post is how much beauty and satisfaction you achieved for a nominal investment of money.

With dealers charging more for every new model, and the growing popularity of modding, there amost seems to be an arms race of sorts to see who can create the "most perfect" rep -- including adding genuine parts.

I am not knocking those efforts, but your post helps restore some perspective to the general discussion of modding and the search for the perfect rep.

Thanks again, and enjoy your creation.

I would love a white dial homage watch like that. Any info on how to get the sterile dial would be appreciated.

Both look great. Good job on the DIY.

Thanks, You can contact Davidson for it.

Congratulations.

What I love about your post is how much beauty and satisfaction you achieved for a nominal investment of money.

With dealers charging more for every new model, and the growing popularity of modding, there amost seems to be an arms race of sorts to see who can create the "most perfect" rep -- including adding genuine parts.

I am not knocking those efforts, but your post helps restore some perspective to the general discussion of modding and the search for the perfect rep.

Thanks again, and enjoy your creation.

Thank You for your very kind words! I am great full so many people here appreciate the very little work this took to make.

Only by taking it apart and refitting them

Thanks I will do that and edit that part of the post.

Without the text or do I have to modify it to remove the text myself? Can you possibly provide the DIY for this? I really like your watch and would like to know.

Thanks.

Well i only had one of those dials which is now in the watch. I will be later updating or posting another tutorial on how to relume and remove enamel off the dials (Though any very strong stain removing chemical should work, But use it with care and tape the parts of the dial you don't want effected.

I will be later updating or posting another tutorial on how to relume and remove enamel off the dials

:bounce:

The reason for not touching parts with bare fingers is the grease can cause serious long-term damage to parts, even if you wash your hands first. ;)

Great tutorial, just to show how easy it is to get started in watch-fiddling. Sure, you make tons of mistakes, but it's better to make them on a $100 toy than a $350+ watch.

ps. I'd love to get that movement for $25. :Jumpy:

The reason for not touching parts with bare fingers is the grease can cause serious long-term damage to parts, even if you wash your hands first. ;)

Great tutorial, just to show how easy it is to get started in watch-fiddling. Sure, you make tons of mistakes, but it's better to make them on a $100 toy than a $350+ watch.

ps. I'd love to get that movement for $25. :Jumpy:

Thanks for the TIP; Will take more precaution next time, making the tutorial.

I am still undecided on to what i will do with the spare parts, But i am leaning towards a do it yourself kit.

Thanks

Thanks for the TIP; Will take more precaution next time, making the tutorial.

I am still undecided on to what i will do with the spare parts, But i am leaning towards a do it yourself kit.

Thanks

Fantastic post. You had guts to do it and it worked out well for you. Be proud and enjoy your watch in good health!

@bazz & fxrandy: what's the point to set the hands @ 12 on a non-date movement?

It is so the minute and hour hands line up correctly, if you look at the black dial watch the hands are out. The hour hand is at around a quarter past three and the minute is about a ten to, so when the hour hand reaches 12 the minute will be around 12:30. You cant randomly stick them back on and hope they line up perfectly.

Do you know how anoying it is to look at a watch face where the hands dont line up properly , for example when the hour hand is directly at 12 and the mineut hand it at 10 too!

On a second thought, I still see no points in setting the hands @12 before removing them, as they can be set properly when one reassembles them back.

You do this for movements with a date, so...

:blink: oh my, I thought I had been clear in my question on my 1st post here:

@bazz & fxrandy: what's the point to set the hands @ 12 on a non-date movement?

...actually, this from asad is a watch without date...

EDIT: I just got enlightened. You were meaning to set the hands @ 12 on reinstalling them, not before removing them. Ok.

I never said to remove them whilst set to 12 only reinstall them. I still remove the hands from 6497/8 movements at 12 due to habit and because my hand removal tool has a set of legs that may otherwise touch the hands. So no, on the 6497/8 you can remove the hands at any setting you please.

EDIT: posted before your edit :D

This is a great tutorial and for some reason I am liking the look of the Pam style more and more - strange <_<

Before I joined the forums I had never given them a second look!

This is a great tutorial and for some reason I am liking the look of the Pam style more and more - strange <_<

Before I joined the forums I had never given them a second look!

That is paneritis in stage 2.

Sorry, you are lost.