When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Date wheel moves only half way on 2836-2

bkdc

When i advance the time on my watch, the date wheel clicks but it advances only halfway between dates. As I keep winding forward, the date finally moves into normal position. This keeps repeating itself as I keep winding forward.

I took apart the date mechanism and reassembled it. I got it working only temporarily but my problem again resurfaced.

What am I doing wrong? :) I know this is a simple answer, but I can't seem to figure it out. By the way, the day wheel is not on. I am only using the date wheel on the 2836.

Edited by bkdc

Make sure the clutch lever is seated properly in the 'groove' in the clutch. Otherwise, when you pull the stem out to the winding or time-setting positions, it may not be seating properly. Also, move the stem out to the 1st position (date change setting) & be sure you are turning the date wheel in the right direction. Turned in the wrong direction can result in exactly the problem you described.

I'm sure it's not the clutch. And yes, I'm turning the date wheel in the correct direction in the 1st setting. The problem lies in the 2nd setting. When i advance the time, I only get the datewheel to rotate half way in between dates until I advance the time a lot more...

I'm pretty sure it's a mechanical issue with the date mechanism but I'm not crafty enough to figure it out.

I'm sure it's not the clutch. And yes, I'm turning the date wheel in the correct direction in the 1st setting. The problem lies in the 2nd setting. When i advance the time, I only get the datewheel to rotate half way in between dates until I advance the time a lot more...

I'm pretty sure it's a mechanical issue with the date mechanism but I'm not crafty enough to figure it out.

It sounds like the spring that makes it snap over at midnight has become disengaged.