When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best PAM36?

kye_lin

@fishgodeep,

Is that a "new" DSN 036 ? The dial looks MUCH better and the movement has the proper brushed crown and mainspring wheels on it :wub:

I have concerns relating to the height of the dial text. The genuine 036 used a different text height for MARINA MILITARE & PANERAI (smaller) compared to LUMINOR (taller). Davidsen has used the same text throughout and it is at least as high as the LUMINOR ought to be, and too high for the rest. In fact when I examine it closely it would appear that he has the LUMINOR smaller than the rest while it should be the other way around. Also the engraved recesses will need to be overfilled to give the proper T dial 'sausage' 3D effect.

Fishgodeep's pic of the movement seems to be one of the earlier decorated ETA movements that DSN used, and these are excellent movements with proper blued screws, CdG stripes (under the foil plates) and the improved shock protection. Is he still offering these now?

DSN's previous Ti crownguard was too chunky, with no curve on the top, and it really needs to be fully reshaped. Has anyone any experience of reworking one of these? I have one on his 036 case, with a hideous 'purple' PAM116 dial, but it is soooo wrong. Any tips on how to reshape it would be useful.

Edited by PAMman

I'm on the fence on the dial text ...I agree it does look larger in these photos than it should - but on my 082 below - it also looks large in the photos but is very satisfying in the "flesh" I have to try it to find out...

On the CG modding - I was plagued by the solid and well made CG DSN supplied on the 082 - but it needed the curvature.

I used various grades of metal preparation "sandpaper" on a mixture of hard and soft surfaces to obtain the best shape I could.

Finishing with a wet and dry grade paper and then with a fibreglass re-finishing brush.

P1010754.jpg

P1010753.jpg

P1010760.jpg

P1010756.jpg

Cheers

:fish:

I'm on the fence on the dial text ...I agree it does look larger in these photos than it should - but on my 082 below - it also looks large in the photos but is very satisfying in the "flesh" I have to try it to find out...

On the CG modding - I was plagued by the solid and well made CG DSN supplied on the 082 - but it needed the curvature.

I used various grades of metal preparation "sandpaper" on a mixture of hard and soft surfaces to obtain the best shape I could.

Finishing with a wet and dry grade paper and then with a fibreglass re-finishing brush.

Cheers

wow - looking good - would never tried this on ti .

thanks for the info

Frank

long time ago i had the 036 from josh - found some pix :

CIMG2466.jpg

CIMG2465.jpg

CIMG2468.jpg

CIMG2469.jpg

The indices on DSN's engraved dial are too thick, and the 2 is the wrong shape for the 036 or any A/B series PAM. You're just trading one set of flaws for another. Plus it only works if he fills the indices completely with lume like the gens. Not a coating of lume and then varnish filled like the Pre-A stuff...

The indices on DSN's engraved dial are too thick, and the 2 is the wrong shape for the 036 or any A/B series PAM. You're just trading one set of flaws for another. Plus it only works if he fills the indices completely with lume like the gens. Not a coating of lume and then varnish filled like the Pre-A stuff...

You are correct on these flaws versus the genuine ...and trading flaws is a matter of personal preference which is why I parted with all 3 of my previous 036's

The lume fill is an easy correct....other flaws not so.

The search goes on for a close to "perfect" PAM0036 ..?

• 3 weeks later...
You are correct on these flaws versus the genuine ...and trading flaws is a matter of personal preference which is why I parted with all 3 of my previous 036's

The lume fill is an easy correct....other flaws not so.

The search goes on for a close to "perfect" PAM0036 ..?

Fish,

Is the 'new' DSN dial you posted in your pics above a current project of his? If so, do you know when the dial will be available? (as in hopefully right now? :D )

I poked around his photobucket a little bit and couldnt find...

Thanks