When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you "use" a daytona?

llsteve80

I've had this thing for a while now, and it is pretty, but what am I supposed to do with all this stuff?

What is the purpose of it all? I know it was designed for racing, but how do you use it?

Do you guys use them for anything but telling time?

Do you think anyone else still does?

The daytona was not designed for racing. The name was a nickname in the beginning caused by the fact that Paul Newman had one on his wrist when he was at the Daytona races back in the old days. The watch was noticed by several interested fellows, became trendy and the story took its way to where we are now.

Edited by Fish

Here's an interesting read about that function:

Tachymeter Usage and Function

But right now, unless you know your math and are pretty quick in calculations, I think it's pretty safe to say that most of the time, the tachymeter is pretty much cosmetic.

I remember it being used back when it was relevant in the 50's and 60's. But now you benefit from more accuracy with quartz and digital chronographs that instantaneously calculate this information with almost no rate of error.

According to the book Rolex Daytona: A Legend is Born, 'The Daytona signature......celebrated Rolex's historic sponsorship of the famed Nascar Stock Car race, in Daytona Beach Florida.'

Top pusher starts & stops the chrono. Once stopped, the bottom pusher resets all 3 chrono hands back to their null (12 o'clock) positions.

Most Daytona owners rarely, if ever, actually use the chronograph functions. And, in the case of Daytona reps, it is probably best to use the chrono as little as possible, especially if your watch has not been properly overhauled by a trained watchsmith.

You might find this useful

bump freddy333's comments ... i can't speed anyway in my car 4 speeding tickets in a 6 month span is not good :o:o:(:(:( ... just got my license back :) ... but i know all the state highway patrol officers, sherriff deputies, clerk of court and muni judge in my area!!! :bangin::bangin:

Edited by prince458