When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yet Another Pseudo-Newbie!

jsph

funny... seems like just a few weeks ago i was doing this at rwg... i mean, at that "other" rwg. well, some of this has changed, but may as well go with what works -- my original rwguide newbie self-intro:

Hi Everyone,

have been lurking for a couple of weeks, but wanted to say a proper hello, finally -- even if I don't have anything actually-useful to say!

Thanks everyone for all the useful information and helpful guides for newbies (eg, Klink's, the Omega guide, etc), not to mention the excellent forum tools -- learning a lot, really fast (reminded of "getting an education at MIT is like taking a drink from a fire hose"), though perhaps the most encouraging thing has just been to find folks that don't think of all this as taboo (eg, other otherwise excellent watch forums... that I find I'm visiting less and less since RWG!).

Not much to tell about myself -- same disease as you guys, from the sounds of it; one awful rep in the collection, two or three truly awful reps in the collection (back-in-the-day canal street specials), a few basic but good seiko, citizen, casio, and no-names in the collection, and that's about it for now. Definitely not much money to spend on this stuff, but has become a real (mental) hobby.

Current grail watch is the Omega 2254.50 -- one of the only expensive watches I might actually afford one day (used, obviously) and not consider overpriced; that said, a decent swiss rep of this would have me over the moon, to be honest -- doesn't have to fool a dealer, just run well and not be full of atrocious visual/ functional niggles to bother my half-trained eyes and fingers.

Beyond that, also really like some vintage sea-dwellers and submariners (eg, 5517, of course), but (should I be ashamed of this as a forum-newbie?) also modern sea-dweller and black s/s submariner (but darn that cyclops!). Never seen a sea-dweller in person, though, so will probably find it's actually too big for me, even though it looks way way sweet. (Don't get my wrong -- I wore an skx007j literally 24/7 for three years, but there are limits.)

[Hey, that's another thing -- I'm more than humbly a newbie on this intense, jam-packed forum, believe me, but I've been into watches so long (and scrutinizing the hell out of them, so that now none seem "perfect", except maybe the above omega and a couple rolexes (de-cyclopsed!)), it's weird to have so much watch-stuff and etiquette (and secret handshakes) to learn, and to be considered a bottom-feeder again! Guess I need to start posting and chatting a lot more, even if it's 0.02 cents at a time. (And yes, I do mean 2/100th of a cent. That's humility, folks.)]

Anyway, that was a lot of blurbage considering I had nothing to say, but there you have it -- my first "post". Take care of your bad selves, and hope to be chatting with you and learning more about all of this stuff soon... [... not to mention providing (at very reasonable rates!) the invaluable service of performing the first-three-months burn-in on any new swiss-movement watches you may have acquired but don't want to subject to the dreaded watch-winder. Ahem. However, I can do only two, maybe four, or possibly eight watches at a time (depending on desired level of "wabi", on a scale of 0 to 10), so let's not all send them in at once; plus, priority goes to the above-mentioned items. ;) -- and yes, I know that, at one time or another, just about everybody's advertised this service on the forum, but give me a break, I'm just trying to put food on the table (and Seanasters on the wrist)! ;]

Peace haut,

JSPH