When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

upo modding?

danza1812

OK, so i'm still thinking of modding my upo by adding a gen dial.

One small problem.... I dont know how on earth I will do it.

Can anyone provide me with an idiots guide, Step by step instructions on how to remove the movement, remove the hands and replace the dial?

Failing that does anyone provide a service to do this for me? Preferably in the UK.

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies

:huh:

I really don't suggest that you make your first effort with an UPO and a gen dial. Watch dismantling is very tricky and involves a lot of practice. Get your practicing done on a POS watch, and let a pro handle your UPO. I guarantee that if it is your first attempt you will screw something up.

Call The Zigmeister and let him handle this for you.

As doc said, just get the gen hands, I don't think they are that expensive. But Zig will do lume, he's doing mine as we speak. AR coating the crystal is a great idea as well, but Zig told me that all his slots for AR service are full, and it could be several months before the next run. Gen bezel can not be used, only the insert. Very pricey as the insert and bezel can only be purchased in one piece. Great looking mod, but costs as much as the whole watch!

Hi: I'm now willing to mod UPO also, K2222 (I'm from europe) will do 2 x AR. I don't think hands are bad on UPO, but i'm not an expert (please explain why).

What i really wish is changing the bezel insert, i found and just bought for 9,50 USD this insert (see picture)

OMG_Bezel_PO.bmp

If it would fit, then will be enought for me.

Does anybody know something about this insert?

Thx.

Edited by lodoubts

@lodoubts.... this bezel insert may take some work as it is too thick for the replicated bezel.. you will need to sand down the underside quite a bit to get it flush with the bezel and the replicated bezel is a fraction of a mm bigger than the genuine ... so the bezel insert will not be flush with the edges of the bezel ... you may want to check with your collector to see if he/she can source the insert and the pearl.. the pearl on the replicated insert is not attached to the insert..

although IMHO the black insert on the rep is good enough.. it's the orange that is not spot on IMO... (edit add) the pearl on the rep will also need relume to match the dial and hands... the pearl from the insert you got on ebay is much better.. it's a matter of getting the one on the rep out without damaging the insert

I tried sanding down the orange insert.. and did get it flush ... but i was not happy with the tiny space because the insert is not as big as the replicated insert.

for the orange I decide to get the genuine bezel.. for the black I just stayed with the rep..

@mat2302

you can send the entire watch to k2222 for AR.. the genuine crystal is about 169 usd ... the only thing not factored in is the quality of the crystal on the rep.. but with a double AR my guess is it will be fine

the crown and tube (genuine) is a "must" as the rep may eventually give out.. but the genuine tube needs to be modded ... (glued in place) but the genuine tube and crown are much better for longevity ..

If you cannot get the hands relumed then you best get the genuine.. they are not to expensive..

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=65876..... link to modded UPO...

@mentalist... were you looking for a UPO dial ?? how did you make out with Silix.. i may have one 4 U....

Hi, I don't think hands are bad on UPO, but i'm not an expert (please explain why).

What i really wish is changing the bezel insert, i found and just bought for 9,50 USD this insert (see picture)

OMG_Bezel_PO.bmp

If it would fit, then will be enought for me.

Does anybody know something about this insert?

Thx.

It is hard to tell the quality of the pearl from the provided pic, but as previously stated, its anybody's guess as to whether it will even fit in your rep. As to the hands, re-luming your existing hands will cost money. If the gen hands are cheap enough, it may just be more cost-worthy to do it that way.