When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT 24 hour hand (4th Hand) not moving at all

I got the watch from Andrew few weeks ago and all "hour, minutes and second" hands are working great (keeping perfect time) EXCEPT for the 24 hour which at first rotate very slowly and then it work for about 12 hours. Right now it stop and is not working. Is there something I missed to make it work? Have you experience like this before? Can I fix it myself or have it taken to local watchshop? When I adjust the time, the 4th hand movement rotate counter clockwise. Is it normal? BTW, it's Rolex GMT Master with swiss eta movement.

Let me know what I can do. Many Thanks!

If it has only been a few weeks, I would discuss the situation with Andrew. I think the best solution would be to take it to a reliable local watchsmith (one who is OK with reps) and have them fix it, and request a credit or discount on your next purchase from Andrew.

Not all ETA movements were designed to support GMT hands, so this was likely modified to support the extra function. That might impact serviceability, but that will also depend on the abilities of your watchsmith.

Good luck.

madscientist18

The modified 2836 has been modified to perform the GMT function, some people have reported the same problem that you are describing.

Try resetting the GMT hand to whatever time you want, while the watch is still in the setting mode advance the date, not the GMT hand, but the date until is just starts to move, then stop and reverse the winding crown just enough to reset the date in the middle of the date window, sometimes that is just enough to engauge the added gear to make the watch function properly.

Give it a try, I was having the same problem on mine, works just fine after I made the adjustment. Its just a habit to do this now each time I set the watch.

madscientist18

The modified 2836 has been modified to perform the GMT function, some people have reported the same problem that you are describing.

Try resetting the GMT hand to whatever time you want, while the watch is still in the setting mode advance the date, not the GMT hand, but the date until is just starts to move, then stop and reverse the winding crown just enough to reset the date in the middle of the date window, sometimes that is just enough to engauge the added gear to make the watch function properly.

Give it a try, I was having the same problem on mine, works just fine after I made the adjustment. Its just a habit to do this now each time I set the watch.

Thanks dachshund for the great advice! I'll try it and see if it work and to prevent the watch from shipping back to China for repair.

• 2 months later...
madscientist18

I am having a similar problem, but don't understand "then stop and reverse the winding crown just enough to reset the date in the middle of the date window" of your instructions. When I reverse the winding crown all that happens is the GMT hand moves, the date never re-centers as you describe. Help? Thanks in advance.

• 11 months later...
I am having a similar problem, but don't understand "then stop and reverse the winding crown just enough to reset the date in the middle of the date window" of your instructions. When I reverse the winding crown all that happens is the GMT hand moves, the date never re-centers as you describe. Help? Thanks in advance.

When you pull out the crown one click it will be in the GMT/date setting position. Turning the crown anti-clockwise moves the GMT hand. Do this to set it to the correct time. Then turn the crown back very slowly in the other direction (clockwise) - just until the date starts to move. Then stop! and push the crown in. You should then be OK.

If this doesn't work, try doing setting the GMT, then do the small date move trick, and then pull out the crown all the way. After that push the crown in.

Dachshund's date move trick worked a treat for me!

Cheers

BB