When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can crooked markers on a dial be fixed?

section8

So i finally pulled the trigger and ordered an IWC 3717, well it arrived today and I eagerly opened it up for inspection.

After i got it wound a bit by gently shaking it, i set the date time and checked teh chronos. Next i put my new 22mm black NATO strap on. I get ready to put it on when i see it.

3717%20crooked%20markers.jpg

The 12 Triangle, 3 and 6 markers are all crooked! ARRRHRRRAJSLKAS:DAs

Can this be fixed? Or should I contact the dealer and request a new watch? I'm so angry, been lusting for this thing for so long and i get this! I was planning on sending off to K2222 for double AR and datewheels then to The Zigmeister for service, but I guess I'll be putting that off longer unless someone knows if this can be fixed

They look like they are glued on top of smaller markers or something.... maybe the markers are just bad period if they are 2 ply or whatever. See if the dealer will send you a new dial, then you can skip the return shipping and extra waiting that comes with it. Of course it will be sent registered airmail so it might take a month anyway.... Just might be less of a hassle since you could still work on the rest of the stuff, AR, Datewheel, etc while you are waiting.

I recommend sending it back. You just received it, right? There should be no reason why the dealer won't honor an exchange.

-OR-

If you are apt to do it yourself,

the IWC:

You have to remove the dial from the movement, which required removing the hands (a hassle). Since most raised markers are placed on with feet on the marker, you could try removing the glue from the backside then re-aligning the marker.

But, it requires a steady hand. And a fine attention to detail as not to mess up.

the Radiomir:

looks like the chrono pusher and the circular holder used to keep it in the case came loose. You could put it back together, though that also requires removing the movement out of the case.

-OR-

contact The Zigmeister (since you are planning to send to him anyway) and ask about your best option(s).

They look like they are glued on top of smaller markers or something.... maybe the markers are just bad period if they are 2 ply or whatever. See if the dealer will send you a new dial, then you can skip the return shipping and extra waiting that comes with it. Of course it will be sent registered airmail so it might take a month anyway.... Just might be less of a hassle since you could still work on the rest of the stuff, AR, Datewheel, etc while you are waiting.

I didn't even think of asking for a new dial, maybe I'll do this for the IWC since I"m planning on sending it out for more work anyway.

I recommend sending it back. You just received it, right? There should be no reason why the dealer won't honor an exchange.

-OR-

If you are apt to do it yourself,

the IWC:

You have to remove the dial from the movement, which required removing the hands (a hassle). Since most raised markers are placed on with feet on the marker, you could try removing the glue from the backside then re-aligning the marker.

But, it requires a steady hand. And a fine attention to detail as not to mess up.

the Radiomir:

looks like the chrono pusher and the circular holder used to keep it in the case came loose. You could put it back together, though that also requires removing the movement out of the case.

-OR-

contact The Zigmeister (since you are planning to send to him anyway) and ask about your best option(s).

Good points - but I'm nowhere near being able to do anything other than remove the back of the watch! I'm just so angry that both of the watches I ordered are messed up. I ordered from a good dealer so I'm sure that he'll work with me - I'm not angry at him just the situation. I hadn't planned on sending the PAM out for service since it's a lemania handwind, but I guess it wouldn't hurt if i'm already sending the IWC - I just would like my wife to be able to wear the thing first and in this shape, the chrono pusher falls right off if you look at it wrong.

Thanks for the input guys.

I have exactly the same problem.

I received my 3717 a couple of days ago and the markers are all off.. 3, 9 and 12 are ok at a glance but the 6 is obvious to anyone looking at the watch for anything more than a few seconds.

I have already contacted Josh and I will be sending him some photos as soon as I get my camera ready.

Edited by jkspepper

-OR-

contact Ziggy (since you are planning to send to him anyway) and ask about your best option(s).

These two look like the best options to me mate

Well, I emailed my dealer about the dial and exchanging the PAM, I'm sure he'll do me right :) I've been wearing the 3717 tonight on the NATO, and I do still love the watch, I'll just love it more when it's got less flaws.