When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shipping internationally

uber2k

Hi guys,

I am in the proccess of selling a watch, not paid yet but I'll ask in advance :)

I guess the best way to ship is via regular registered mail? Do courier services get more attention at customs? Should I be puting a non-real sender's (return) address? I am thinking of dissasembling the case/bracelet and state the content as "watch parts" ^_^

This one is going Mexico->Canada

Thoights? :)

Hi guys,

I am in the proccess of selling a watch, not paid yet but I'll ask in advance :)

I guess the best way to ship is via regular registered mail? Do courier services get more attention at customs? Should I be puting a non-real sender's (return) address? I am thinking of dissasembling the case/bracelet and state the content as "watch parts" ^_^

This one is going Mexico->Canada

Thoights? :)

Just send it in the same manner as our Chinese friends are sending us the watches. State the content as "gift".

When I shipped some pieces to Canada my local post office informed me that watches are not allowed to be imported under "most circumstances" without a declaration of the full value of the goods.

I was instructed to write "Watch Crystals for Return/Repair" and mark it as "gift"

Most people have advised against using courier services because they are more scrutinised by customs, but I believe that is not so.

I have shipped watches to the EU and just declared them as "Broken Watch Parts" with a real-sounding value, such as $35USD.

Secondly, I ship regularly using UPS. The advantage they have is that they use an outside customs broker who may not physically be present to inspect the package, but they do see the declaration and in a package small enough, who wouldn't believe that you were sending broken watch parts?

Oh, and lots of bubble-wrap won't hurt either. ;)

I remember reading somewhere that Chinese customs has the same rule, no watches allowed. Probably why returning them is so hit-or-miss.

I've had a few returns to China...and have never had a problem. Follow the return instructions from your collector to the letter and you should be fine. The only problem I've had is that Josh's boxes are too small for regular postal service, so I have to use a bigger box in order to get cheaper shipping, as Canadian postal services have a minimum package size for regular mail, but not for courier service.

Canada doesn't have the same problem with bringing in watches (counterfeit or otherwise) as Europe or the US. Packages don't get seized here unless you are dealing in commercial quantity.

Be honest with the customs declaration and you should be fine: "Novelty fashion watch...value US$15"