When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silix PO ETA 2836... or is it?

andreww

I recently picked up this watch from another member...

img_3597189.jpg

He had originally advertised it with no movement description, but as I immediately determined it was a Silix 45mm PO, and he only sells it with an ETA 2836, I snapped it up. When the watch arrived last week I eagerly opened the caseback to confirm my suspicions. Yep, ETA logo, with 2836 markings. The condition inside the watch wasn't up to snuff (no clamps, and some other issues), so I decided to send it to The Zigmeister for some repair and to have it lumed. Zig emailed me yesterday saying that he had some suspicions about the movement, as the ETA markings appear to be etched, not stamped. Today, another email from Zig confirmed that it was definitely NOT an ETA movement. As he told me he'd only ever seen one other occurrence like this, I thought it would be interesting to post here.

So, a warning to all those purchasing Silix ETAs, you may not be getting what you paid for.

I'm not overly concerned as I didn't pay a fortune for it, and I have two other UPOs. I just wanted another one to use simply for rubber and leather straps. Changing the bracelet on these things can be a bit of a chore! But I was a little disappointed. I would be very upset if I paid full pop for a Heritage only to find that the ETA was fake though!

Edited by andreww

I'm not overly concerned as I didn't pay a fortune for it, and I have two other UPOs. I just wanted another one to use simply for rubber and leather straps. Changing the bracelet on these things can be a bit of a chore! But I was a little disappointed. I would be very upset if I paid full pop for a Heritage only to find that the ETA was fake though!

THis concerns me as I just bought an Ingy from silix that was supposed to be ETA 2824 and when I get it and open it, it is stamped 2836.

I also bought a PO (orange) from the same seller andreww is referring to. He advertised it as asian but sent me a link to a silix 2836. I opened the watch and it is stamped ETA.

Who knows anymore????

Natron

Well if yopu consider the price that these 45mm PO are going for over at silix you really can't complain, not saying that andreww is by any means his post is informative regarding these so called eta's.

I for one have no real issues with a replica watch using a "replica" movement, pointless maybe to go as far as etch the stamping, but it is to fool the buyer/dealer or both.

I just would hate to know i paid eta price for a non eta movement. Eventually tehre won't be any ETA's and if watches are being copied in such high detail, movements should be a breeze considering only a handfull of us would be able to tell the difference, I wonder if the price of watches will go down once there are no more "real" ETA's?

Guest avitt

Have you guys noticed that on Puretime's new site, some watches are offered with "Asian 2836 clone" movements, or an upgrade to "Swiss ETA 2836-2" movements for $100 more. I, for one, appreciate having that option (and the upfront descriptions of the seller).

My question is this: Do the clones have the same hand sizes as the Swiss? If so, my MO would be to buy the Asian versions for $100 less, and swap to a Swiss if/when the clone gave me problems (or maybe just stick with the Asians, if the long term quality proves to be very good).

The movements in the POs have been questionable for quite some time. I ordered a UPO from Precious Time back in August of '07 and sent it back twice because it had shipped with an ETA 2846 and not the ETA 2824. He finally got it right after he talked to his supplier, months of waiting, and $$$ in shipping fees but it confirmed simple fact that the buyer must beware. To think that the supply of ETAs is not drying up would be foolish. The 2824 is being replaced by the 2842. The ETA is being replaced by the Asian clone 2836. Just know what you are buying, that's all.