When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Graphite Lubrication...What are the possibilities?

DuDro

After reading freddy333's post a few weeks ago about using powdered graphite lubrication, I started to think how else this could be used for our reps...

Would it be possible to dust the entire movement with this stuff as a cheap and REALLY lazy way to lube up the internal guts?

Your thoughts on this please... ^_^

After reading freddy333's post a few weeks ago about using powdered graphite lubrication, I started to think how else this could be used for our reps...

Would it be possible to dust the entire movement with this stuff as a cheap and REALLY lazy way to lube up the internal guts?

Your thoughts on this please... ^_^

Graphite was used to solve a problem, A7750 with running seconds at 6. But this does not mean we have to use everywhere.

The objective of lubrication is to reduce wear, and oil is reducing wear and it is very easy to use and to apply. Application of graphite takes some time...and, for example, jewels are designed to keep oil inside, by capilarity, graphite will not work there in the same way.

Why not to use oil in the running at 6 problem? Becuase the gear is rotating against the surface of the plate. Oil will stick the gear and this was tried without succsess. A molecular layer of graphite is the solution... for this problem.

If I remember correctly, Jaeger uses powdered graphite to lubricate the mainspring barrel of 1 of their new high end watches that are touted as never requiring re-lubrication. But, otherwise, it is not really suited for use in other areas of watch movements. As Francisco mentioned, watches are designed for liquid lubricants that adhere to jewels & other lubricated surfaces by means of capillary action & powered graphite is not really suitable because of this. There are liquid forms of graphite, but the graphite tends to settle out of the liquid suspension & would need to be shaken constantly to keep it suspended.

I am only guessing here, but I do not think graphite would not harm anything. But I would expect that the watch would run erratically and/or too fast because the parts are designed to fit together with a layer of oil between them, which adds a limited amount of drag on the movement. Without the additional drag, the watch would run fast.