When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I couple of INGY polishing tips

FxrAndy

I have spent a couple of hours looking at gen Ingys and trying to find any improvements that could be made over the last couple of days and have found two easy fixes.

1. The finish at the bottom of the bezel holes is pretty rough and not as clean as it could be, Also when you pollish with cape cod you get a lot of residue in the bottom and eventualy it need a good clean and polish,

Easy solution guys and girls, take half a wooden tooth pick and put it in your dremil chuck, turn to a relitivly slow speed and use the tooth pick to polish the bottom and sides of the hole, replace tooth pick as and when required as it will flatten off and turn black with the dirt in the hole. use a clean on in the end just to get right in the corners by hand to finish off.

DSC00278.jpg

2. The ends of the bracelet pins should have a turned finish to them and be shiny,

Easy solution 2 take each pin out individualy put it in the chuck of a drill, i used a rechargable that was not too fast. Take some fine 600 grade emmery paper and gently hold it to the end of the rotating pin, use a bit of pressuer but be aware of pushing too hard and pushing the pin throught the paper, once you have a nice turned finish take a bit of old cape cod and with the pin still turning give a light polish and clean with a clean cloth and then do the other end. I took me about an hour to do the whole band and it looks far better.

DSC00283.jpg

Please take care when using power tools in this way it is too easy to get a bit of clothing caught in a rotating chuck or some thing in your eye, and also if you dont have a keyless chuck please remove the key before you start the drill, I have seen lots of workshop accidents and they are never funny or nice. Take care.

I will try to take some photos to show the effects. I did and they are my usual crap but i hope you can see the difference

Happy tinkering

Good ideas and easy to do. I too have had some experience of the genuine Ingy and IMO the rep is as close as reps get in terms of finish and accuracy, apart from the datewheel, AR etc. The rep Ingy really FEELS the same as the genuine IWC because the case & bracelet have been replicated in an awesome way.

Great tips Andy, thanx!!

The edges of all engravings on the caseback are not pollished anough and thus too sharp. It irritates my wrist when i wear my Ingy (ahhh, poor guy...). So i'm gonna try to make it a little more smooth with a toothpick in the dremel :D

Great tips Andy, thanx!!

The edges of all engravings on the caseback are not pollished anough and thus too sharp. It irritates my wrist when i wear my Ingy (ahhh, poor guy...). So i'm gonna try to make it a little more smooth with a toothpick in the dremel :D

I wpould recomend fine wet and dry paper for that and then try to re turn the finsh by using a lath but failing that i am going to try a valve lapping tool, basicaly a rubber sucker like a kids arrow