When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2836-2 Question

USMC8404

Good morning all,

I am still new here and learning a little more each day. I have seen several versions of the ETA 2836-2 on the web for sale. Some are silver in color and others are gold. They seem to go for between 75 and 100 USD. Could some one please explain the difference to me.

A word or two from The Zigmeister on this topic would be very educational I am sure.

Thank you all for a great place to learn about and enjoy my new found hobby!

This got discussed to death about a year ago, and the end result is that there are no differences except the colour, Most are surplus or used movements and any colour could be of any grade. Have a search, it may take a while as it realy waas a time ago but it will be an enlightening read.

This got discussed to death about a year ago, and the end result is that there are no differences except the colour, Most are surplus or used movements and any colour could be of any grade. Have a search, it may take a while as it realy waas a time ago but it will be an enlightening read.

Thanks Andy.

Functionally, there is no difference as far as I know, a silver (Nickel plated) movement is as reliable and accurate as a Gold plated one.

My supplier did tell me once (supplier has been in business since the 1920's) the following:

Gold plated movements are produced by ETA in Switzerland.

Nickel plated movemenst are produced in the far East.

The supplier sells 2 variants of ETA's, regular and "Swiss" (factory sealed ones). The Swiss ones are all Gold coloured, and the regular ones are all Silver...

In reality, I have never seen any noticeable differences. I have seen Gold and Nickel movements that were pristine, and others that were in dire need of servicing. It's anyone's guess what you'll get in your rep...

RG

Functionally, there is no difference as far as I know, a silver (Nickel plated) movement is as reliable and accurate as a Gold plated one.

My supplier did tell me once (supplier has been in business since the 1920's) the following:

Gold plated movements are produced by ETA in Switzerland.

Nickel plated movemenst are produced in the far East.

The supplier sells 2 variants of ETA's, regular and "Swiss" (factory sealed ones). The Swiss ones are all Gold coloured, and the regular ones are all Silver...

In reality, I have never seen any noticeable differences. I have seen Gold and Nickel movements that were pristine, and others that were in dire need of servicing. It's anyone's guess what you'll get in your rep...

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister, I knew you would have the information I wanted to know. I am ordering one today to replace the one I ruined by hand winding earlier this year on my TT Sub.