When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN 172 Crown/Stem

xlr8tn

Juggling watches can be a tricky task, especially those that require manual winding. For the automatics, you can simply place them in an automatic winder. If I forget to wind my DSN 172, then I need to set the time again and again. Now I am getting a funny winding noise when I rotate the stem to set the time. It appears that the round part at the end of the stem is tilted when pulled all the way out. If I manually make sure that this is perpendicular to the stem then the noise goes away. Is the crown supposed to move about the stem, or is it supposed to be in a fixed position? The movement is ETA. Is this why some upgrade the entire crown?

The stem and crown should be fixed and secured to each other.

Could be a few things going on:

Stem to crown loose

Set lever coming loose (common problem on some models)

The easiest solution is to open the caseback, see if the set lever screw is tight (the one that holds the stem in place), if it's ok, then I would remove the stem and make sure it's screwed down into the crown securely.

The reason members replace the crowns is astetics, not functionality, this crown should work just fine.

RG

The stem and crown should be fixed and secured to each other.

Could be a few things going on:

Stem to crown loose

Set lever coming loose (common problem on some models)

The easiest solution is to open the caseback, see if the set lever screw is tight (the one that holds the stem in place), if it's ok, then I would remove the stem and make sure it's screwed down into the crown securely.

The reason members replace the crowns is astetics, not functionality, this crown should work just fine.

RG

Personally I have found DSN's spring loaded crowns to break very easily.

The tube holding the spring mechanism for the stem can start to shear off ...creating the wobble and eventually the crown "head" comes away completely and a small spring flies across the room if your lucky!!

Rep crowns without the spring mechanism are much more reliable in the long run.

Just my 2p from experience....Ziggy has replaced all of mine over the months

Best

:fish:

Personally I have found DSN's spring loaded crowns to break very easily.

The tube holding the spring mechanism for the stem can start to shear off ...creating the wobble and eventually the crown "head" comes away completely and a small spring flies across the room if your lucky!!

Rep crowns without the spring mechanism are much more reliable in the long run.

Just my 2p from experience....Ziggy has replaced all of mine over the months

Best

:fish:

Thanks for this, I was not aware of this issue, this is probably the exact problem.

Good feedback.

RG

I don't have any strange noises from my 127 crown (E0117 case) but, the tube doesn't seem to be giving the crown the full support for it to interact properly with the CG lever. With the crown 'pulled tight' against the inside of the lever, there is maybe a hair's width between the tube/crown. Is it possible to re-set the tube position so it is 'further out', so it gives the crown the correct support? When held down, the crown seals properly against the tube, but then, the CG lever has a little 'rattle' to it. 'Pulling the crown tight' against the CG lever, is little more than touching the inside edge of the crown, it is not actually moving it to the 'time setting' position. The watch has always done it, and to be honest, it doesn't bother me too much (although if it was fixable, it would be good to have it fixed) I just thought I'd seek some opinions.