When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Luming Questions

92tru

I've been in envy of many of the pics ppl have taken of their dials enhanced with tritec..

Its super popular here, but other than the obvious brighter effect, why is it so popular? I took a quick search and read the faq's but didn't see much other than rep & movt information.. so maybe this can help the other noobs here as well!

How long does the 'bright' lume-effect last once the lights are out? what does it look like after an hour or 2 in the dark?

Is it expensive to apply? Can it be a DIY?

How much do the resident-lumer's charge for a typical application?

How long does the lume last once applied?

I just read how Panerai's Radiomir's were once lumed with radioactive materials for underwater purposes, but didn't mention how long the lume lasted, etc etc.

thanks in advance!

It's popular because with gens good lume is one of the qualities associated with a high quality watch. Readability in the dark is very cool even without considering the question of authenticity to the original. I know what others have posted, but Tomhighway quoted me GBP30 for a relume and my SOSF is with him now getting done. If it turns out well, there will probably be at least two others heading his way...

I wouldn't say that all gen watches have good lume as I've seen a few that have terrible lume, but PAM's are known for it and the gen versions have a reputation of having lume that is almost "too" bright. So, since most are looking to get their reps as close to the gens as possible it's a common "upgrade". Not to mention that for lume freaks like me, it's just plain cool!

thanks for the replies...

i know The Zigmeister is notorious for luming in toronto.. as i am also in toronto, but before i spam him with a newb question and waste his precious time (no pun intended bah ha ha) I'd just wanted to know what the usual price range for a service like this is (on our side of the pond)

that and even if these things light up like crazy, does the lume last like 3+ hours in the dark?

thanks for the replies...

i know ziggy is notorious for luming in toronto.. as i am also in toronto, but before i spam him with a newb question and waste his precious time (no pun intended bah ha ha) I'd just wanted to know what the usual price range for a service like this is (on our side of the pond)

that and even if these things light up like crazy, does the lume last like 3+ hours in the dark?

The real test is can they eye see it afer 8 hours in a dark room and if it is proper job then yes you can

Well that depends on your perception and your definition of "light up". Superluminova, once charged, tends to glow very bright for a short amount of time then drift off into a steady, but very dim, glow. This dim glow does last the night and I've found myself looking at my watch in the early hours of the morning to find that it was indeed still faintly glowing. Personally, I've never seen any watch, and I do have some gen watches known for it's lume, that was still glowing brightly after an hour or so. That's what I meant by your definition of what you consider "glowing" and "bright".

It's popular because with gens good lume is one of the qualities associated with a high quality watch. Readability in the dark is very cool even without considering the question of authenticity to the original. I know what others have posted, but Tomhighway quoted me GBP30 for a relume and my SOSF is with him now getting done. If it turns out well, there will probably be at least two others heading his way...

As I wanted to send to him some watches..can't wait for your review :D

wow, cool replies.

i just got into these more modern mechanical-based automatics (and learning about them) and i've never been a tree-hugger but its kinda cool to learn that I can have a watch that is relatively accurate and that is completely powered by motion.. now if it could glow as if it was on batteries, than i'd think thats pretty amazing.

my gen 16800 came with tritium lume and when it was new it thought it was very bright and it lasted the night at the same level - no need to charge

fast forward nearly 23 years and it is no longer very bright but i am not going to relume as it dial / hands are still perfect (lume dots and all) and I do not want a non gen watch face.

last overhaul my guy was telling me he could get new tritium put on for about $100 which I may take him up on it at some future date