When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Speedy Requires Tlc

Helmut

Ok, heres the thought.

I've seen a gen 1968 Omega Speedmaster but it needs a bit of TLC. Here is the brief description of the watch;

The movement is very clean as is the dust cover and the seal is also in place and looks in good condition. The movement is 861 calibre and the crown and bottom pusher is missing. The crystal is scratched and needs replacing, the hands are also dirty but all intact and in place. The hour hand is red. The case quite a few knocks and marks and would benefit from a good clean.

It suggests the watch works but only if you shake it. It runs for a bit then stops.

72995-32143.jpg

It looks a bit rough but thats how I like 'em.

I've priced up the obvious missing bits/bits that need replacing from Ofrei and that comes to about $240/£130 (not including bracelet/strap).

A good servicing would be required but the movement appears in good order.

What would be a good price to pay for the watch??

service = $350-$400 USD

Parts = $240

Bracelet = Aftermarket $50/ Genuine $250

= $540-$890USD + Price of the watch itself.

You sure you're interested?

No, bracelet of this vintage would only be $110 USD from Otto Frei. A complete hand set would be around $125 if you look around a bit. And also Watchco Au. has a complete set of pushers for $100 USD or go with these for $80

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Omega-Speedma...1QQcmdZViewItem.

Crystals are super cheap $20-$80 if you look around.

I would contact Time Tech in Dallas, Talk to the owner Kevin. He was trained by Omega and is Omega's repair center for that part of the country. HE is so anal retentive about getting the watches perfect it is almost a pain in the ass to deal with because he WILL NOT cut corners, even if yo ask. BUT!!!! you will spot no problems or flaws when you get the watch back. You will pay $400 for a service for an 861 (Be glad, a 321 cal service is $800 minimum)

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Im happy about the cost of initial spares and the cost of an old strap. I can shop around for those at a later date. But what I would like to know is what you would be willing to pay for the watch in its present condition....taking that the movement is on the whole ok but requiring a service (I can get it serviced for a very good price from a friend of a friend).

I want the watch as a project but dont want to pay through the teeth for it so your estimates would be much appreciated.