When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another Fully Modded 3717

HauteHippie

Just a quick and dirty snapshot here. No fancy light tents or what have yous....

IWC 3717 originally from EL. Modded with The Zigmeister super lume on dial and hands - including removal of the thick markers and creating new flat top SL markers at 3,6,9,12 by hand, chieftang AR, and Swiss ETA 7750 from ajoesmith transplanted by The Zigmeister to top it off.

I'm ecstatic!

3717complete.jpg

Lume shot:

3717lume.jpg

....removed thick markers and created new flat top SL markers at 3,6,9,12.....

Great looking piece, Chief!! Would love to see some close shots of those flat top SL markers where you can see how thick (or thin) the markers are.

Just wanna drool until I can send off mine for the finishing touch :rolleyes:

Great looking piece, Chief!! Would love to see some close shots of those flat top SL markers where you can see how thick (or thin) the markers are.

Just to add on the markers and the thickness of them. I do this on a as requested and needed basis. If you don't ask for them to be cut down, I don't do it (because there is always a risk when removing them). If the markers are crooked or crumbling apart (some of the markers are like wet sand and break up as soon as you touch them) I will remove them and make new ones.

It's not easy to make square sided markers, and the thickness is my best guess as to what looks good. As with any mods, I will try and duplicate or create what ever you want for the size and thickness of the markers.

RG

Just to add on the markers and the thickness of them. I do this on a as requested and needed basis. If you don't ask for them to be cut down, I don't do it (because there is always a risk when removing them). If the markers are crooked or crumbling apart (some of the markers are like wet sand and break up as soon as you touch them) I will remove them and make new ones.

It's not easy to make square sided markers, and the thickness is my best guess as to what looks good. As with any mods, I will try and duplicate or create what ever you want for the size and thickness of the markers.

RG

It can't be easy, and yet mine turned out flawless. The thickness and shape of the markers is perfect.

Guest porsche356a
Glad to hear, as per normal, if the results are not exactly what your looking for, I'll do what is needed to make it to your liking.

RG

That's customer service. As always awesome work Rob! :D

@CT The xtal AR is amazing.

I have spent more money on modding my 3717 than any other rep ever. The Zigmeister has been the magician to make it all happen. Now...marker width's??? For the time being I will be happy with my 3717's as is... But needless to say...having a man like Rob around to work these small miracles, takes the 'Hobby'....to a ho neber lebel.

Edited by jeff g

There's something to be said for the fact that so many of the long-time members have picked up this watch and invested a lot of $$ to make it 'right'.

It causes me to think that I may have missed the boat on this one. This was the first 'new release' that I told myself I wouldn't be conditioned by 'group think' and buy it simply because it's so popular.

Sure enough, after this length of time the IWC is growing on me...

I love the look of the Slevin on bracelet, but this would be at the top of my list if I could find one already modded at some point in the future on the sales board-

@mezz - Actually I came on board late with 3717. I bought it unmodded from Martyd only a few months back, not so sure at that time that I was going to like it. I had never been sold on this one, but I'll tell you this: seeing is believing. And it was immediately clear that this one had to be done right because it's definitely a keeper. Easily one of my favorites now.

Chief, it sounds like we were of a similar mind regarding this one initially. I came really close once to picking one up, but it was already modded and I'd figured since I was on the fence, I would be better off to get the unmodded watch and see if I liked it first. I'm regretting that decision now, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Did the 3717 that you got from Marty come from EL initially? I'm trying to figure whether I'm going to have to play the waiting game of watching the sales board for one of the 'good ones'. I think there was a thread a couple of days ago (kruzer?) talking about how the later releases of the watch aren't even worth it.

I am beginning to see the light with the aesthetics of this one- especially with the incredible AR. The matte black dial with the simple layout design would look incredible with "no crystal". I've found that I particularly like the effect of AR with watches that offer some contrast with the effect.

What I mean is, the 3717 makes sense to me as to why it would impressive, considering the vintage look of the dial and the large size of it. The disappearing crystal would be seemingly at odds with the vintage design, but in a good way. Another example is the ceramic HBB. The polished ceramic is SOO reflective, so the contrast with the AR is something to behold.

I know this isn't an AR thread, but another watch I'm dying to see with your new coating is the MBW AP ROO...particularly one of the models with the highly micro-detailed dial. Like with the Tags that I saw coated, it's a watch that absolutely 'should' have come standard with double AR.

@mezz - Yes it's one of the earlier EL models. I agree with you, and I just didn't "get it" with the popularity of this model early on but now I'm glad I didn't miss the boat completely. And as you say, the AR does make the watch. I liked it before the DAR, but I LOVE it after the DAR. Once you've got DAR on this one and the dial is so crisp and clear, those thick rep markers have definitely got to go. They really stuck out like a sore thumb until The Zigmeister worked his magic.

I can lease you some winder space for this wonderful timepiece. No charge for you. :) I have these 2 watches that some guy named chiefwhatshisname did some work on that could be pushed aside for this one. :p

Seriously, this is truly amazing and now you have me wanting one. Damn you...and By-Tor too. Most of my watches are because of him. :D