When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Computer memory advice needed

PAMman

Maybe someone here can help me with a computer problem. I have a PC with an Intel D850GB Motherboard and I want to upgrade the RAM. The motherboard handbook (on the Intel website) states that the board supports Rimm / Rambus Single- or double-sided RIMM configurations PC600 or PC800 compliant RDRAM in four 168-pin direct Rambus / Rimm sockets.

However 168-pin Rimms seem to be very scarce while 184-pin are readily available, and at least one supplier has told me that 184-pin is suitable, another says that it's not and the rest seem to not know. Can anyone advise me? Can I use 184-pin modules in the Intel D850GB? What's the difference in 168 / 184-pin?

Rambus is very hard to find and very expensive.. You will have hard time to find more tha 256mb, so if your target is to get 2Gb, you will have to change the motherboard too, it will cost you less.

"What's the difference in 168 / 184-pin?"

Nomber of connector, maybe voltage too.. One will not fit the other.

Edited by vric

After few research, look like some site recommend 184-pin Rambus, but the Intel specs sheets say it's 168-pin.. Hard to say.. But one thing is sure, 168 will not fit 184 and 184 will not fit 168.. And most of the site that says 184 are OEM makers, not intel.

Will stick with my idea, you need 168pin, which cost a lot and is nearly impossible to find over 256mb module. (even if your board can takes 2Gb)

And forget my idea of changing motherboard. You have a very first Pentium 4 (which was nearly slower than Pentium 3 :p) with Socket 423 and all DDR board are mostly Socket 478. You would have to change the cpu too.

Don't invest too much in it is my advice.

Edited by vric

according to the review at http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...=799&page=3

"The D850GB has two pairs of RIMM sockets for support of up to 2GB of RDRAM memory. The board will accept both PC600 and PC800 RDRAM utilizing either 128Mbit or 256Mbit technology

As is the case with all RDRAM totting motherboards, RIMM modules have to be used in identical pairs. Each set of RIMM's must be of the same type, memory density and size"

Just like in today's dual-channel memory boards, you have to buy identical memories for the slots. which means same brand, same model, same speed. Whatever you buy, buy x2 or x4

generally RD memories are a little bit more expensive than DDRs. you have to look for "PC800 RDRAM" while shopping.

However, instead of spending over $100 for 1gb memory only, I would recommend you to change your motherboard, buy one of the latest Asus or Gigabyte boards with double channel DDR2 or even DDR3 support, and then at least 2x 1GB memory of the recommended brand by the motherboard manufacturer.

I currently upgraded my burnt motherboard and purchased a Gigabyte (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128090)

I'm very satisfied with it, it has the "best" graphics chip (although I don't use), 6CH audio, Optical out for digital sound, Firewire, HDMI, eSATA etc. everything you could expect from a $99 motherboard.

However, It's designed for AMD, you may check out some intel models between $70-130.

And forget my idea of changing motherboard. You have a very first Pentium 4 (which was nearly slower than Pentium 3 :p) with Socket 423 and all DDR board are mostly Socket 478. You would have to change the cpu too.

Don't invest too much in it is my advice.

After reading vric's post, I noticed that it's a 423 pin P4 board. He's definitely right, maybe it's time for a MB-CPU-Memory upgrade?

Thanks for all of the comments. Maybe it's just time for a complete new PC. This one has a 1.3 P4 with only 256Mb RAM (4 X 64) so it serously needs more RAM. I just couldn't figure out the 168 v 184 pin issue. The modules in mine look the same as the pics of any 184-pin modules (long with 2 notches in the middle) and unlike 168-pin DDR modules which appear to be shorter.

If I get 184-pin Rimm / Rambus modules which physically fit in the board is that a fair indication that they are correct, or am I missing something here?

Thanks for all of the comments. Maybe it's just time for a complete new PC. This one has a 1.3 P4 with only 256Mb RAM (4 X 64) so it serously needs more RAM.

Time for a new Motherboard, CPU and RAM. Today's software expects a lot more CPU.