When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

42mm Planet Ocean link gap

Ev_

I'm considering a 4th gen 42mm PO with the steel bracelet. However, I'm a little concerned about the gap between the links attached to the watch and the next links along the bracelet. Searching around I've seen some pics where it looks huge and others where it's barely noticeable. Anyone know why this is?

Is there a fix? Do the bracelets vary? Has the problem been resolved on later watches?

If it's still a problem, how obvious is it when the watch is on your wrist?

Any info gratefully received. Any photos of the problem or wrist shots would be appreciated.

(Oh, and before anyone suggests it, I don't fancy a rubber or leather bracelet, nor a UPO!)

Guest avitt

The problem has to do with the shape of the first link (which is actually cut out to fit closer on the gen). I don't think that it has been corrected.

I guess that the gap will not appear as great on a larger wrist, as it is emphasized by a sharp angle between the case and the bracelet.

Oh yeah, the gap DOES appear on a larger wrist too. My wrist is '8 and it was really noticeable.

The bracelet and clasp on the 4th gen are absolute JUNK compared to the Ultimate version. I wish they'd make yet another round of the 42mm version with double AR, proper pearl and bracelet. In principle I like the smaller version a LOT more.

On the other hand the 3rd Gen PO had very good bracelet (who still remembers that one?). Perhaps it could be swapped there?

How was the dial / pearl on the 3rd Gen, By-Tor? I remember reading that the hands were better too, is it worth getting a 3rd and 4th gen and putting the best parts together to make an ultimate 42mm? I am planning to get gen hands, but the gen dial is really expensive...

The dial on the 3rd gen was no good... neither was the bezel (if I remember correctly). It's been so long since I owned that watch...

Yeah, the hands were good and long.

I'm also really interested in a 4th gen PO; 45 mm is just too big for my wrists:(. Trusty Time advertises the following about the bracelet on their 4th gen PO:

"SS Bracelet has "PLANET OCEAN" Markings (BEST Edition ever made!)"

Anybody bought this watch from TT recently? Has there been any upgrade in bracelet quality since the initial reviews?

The "inner clasp" on my 4th Gen was so soft metal, that I was able to twist it with my bare hands. The bracelet completely ruined the watch.

I have no idea if it has been upgraded since. It's possible.