When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GEN Blue AR Fiddy?

turboGUATE

You also have to be really careful with pics. There could be something blue in the room that you are seeing in the reflection!

Just keep in mind at all times that single AR is very, very subtle and generally nothing like the pic above. However, I suppose it is possible that due to the large dome on the Fiddy, certain reflections could look like that due to the AR - I've just never seen it like that in person.

+1 on the blue in the room. I've seen hundreds of pics on TZ over the last 2.5-3 years of gen 127's and never have I seen any blue or hardly any for that matter. As far as rep fiddys are concerned I'd rather be without AR then have an incorrect blue. Just my 2-cents.

Edited by Sweattdogg

Yep. Looking at my gen 210, you would be hard pressed to even tell there WAS anti-reflective coating on it.

My 002 has AR that is quite blue, but it might be a replacement crystal or an aftermarket AR job...

The AR on most models is more visible thsn on the 127. OP probably made the fiddy's AR a subtle as possible to preserve the vintage look of the watch.

That's not blue in the room. It's a secondary reflection of the white made bluer with the photoshop darkening of the crystal/dial.

Could be. But, whatever. The point being pictures are a very bad method of evaluating the look and feel of AR. Most people who have gone through my runs would probably agree.

Could be. But, whatever. The point being pictures are a very bad method of evaluating the look and feel of AR. Most people who have gone through my runs would probably agree.

And does your runs give that no-color look to Fiddys Chief? Like sweatdog said, it better off with no AR than that blue non-vintage look.

I would love to have mine with the right AR.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Cheers!

On my 203 I did my best to raise reflections & tints, and I was able to raise purple tint from the domed parts only, and only under natural daylight (not lamp light, not flashlight). Pics are here.

@TeeJay: your watch is great, but your guinea pig is a true love.

I've heard that DSN has the best shaped crystal and his AR is easy to remove if you know what you are doing. Either way Fiddy with the blue or not is still my favorite watch!

I just stripped a DSN Fiddy crystal of its AR, and yes it was super easy. I'd even guess that soap and water on a rag would have taken it off.

And does your runs give that no-color look to Fiddys Chief? Like sweatdog said, it better off with no AR than that blue non-vintage look.

Well take a look at the pics sssurfer posted of his with my AR and see what you think. My AR does have a blue/purple tint especially in florescent light, but it's not overpowering at all.

Here are a couple of sssurfer's pics:

37216438xc9.jpg

58407445ds7.jpg

Well take a look at the pics sssurfer posted of his with my AR and see what you think. My AR does have a blue/purple tint especially in florescent light, but it's not overpowering at all.

I know they are pics with special light and angle conditions. But still not the same look of a gen dome crystal. How does Panerai work or do to make the AR virtually invisible on those domes? I guess is the same debate as to lumejobs with mixtures of C1 and C3 or just pure C3.

Chief, do you think you can tweak something so we can achieve this result?

Cheers!

How does Panerai work or do to make the AR virtually invisible on those domes?

I think that they do nothing to make the AR virtually invisible, it is just because single-side AR gets largely overwhelmed by reflections from the dome (!!!)

We should keep in mind that my pics were taken after chieftang's double AR -- so there were almost no light reflections to keep the AR hidden.

Please consider these four pics of gens (also considering that the first pics looks expressly taken trying to keep reflections under control).

In the last pic the AR is quite noticeable, too. :)

Honestly, I prefer my barely visible purple nuance than all those reflections plus possible purple nuance...

127gen1az9.jpg

127gen2gy1.jpg

127gen3hd9.jpg

127gen4rx1.jpg

@TeeJay: your watch is great, but your guinea pig is a true love.

Thanks :) He's a funny guinea really, he doesn't really like coming out of his hutch, and has a tendency to simply sit in it looking sinister :lol: The black over his eyes make it seem like he has a mask, adding to the sinister air :lol:

I know they are pics with special light and angle conditions. But still not the same look of a gen dome crystal. How does Panerai work or do to make the AR virtually invisible on those domes? I guess is the same debate as to lumejobs with mixtures of C1 and C3 or just pure C3.

Good AR is difficult to photograph. Good AR is near impossible to see in low light conditions, creating the disappearing crystal fans of Chieftang and Jakub know so well.

Chief, do you think you can tweak something so we can achieve this result?

Cheers!

I think sssurfer has already responded, but I'll just reiterate. His was done with double AR. The gen is going to always be single AR. Single AR will look very different.

@sssurfer: This is the first time I've read a convincing argument about the AR on PAMS being tinted in some way. I guess what you say is right: it's better to have that purplelish tint just by itself than all those reflections.

@Chieftang: In what way is the result different of single AR and double AR on a Fiddy crystal now that you have experience with both? Anyways, if you could make my DSN Fiddy look far better than it is, be sure you'll receive a PM in the near future.

Cheers!