When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 177h Asian Unitas Movement Problem!

wireless

Hi there, please if anybody could help identifying the problem and possibly guiding me to fix it I would be very gratefull.

Here's the problem:

I just received a brand new PAM 177H asian unitas which is really nice, saphire front with AR and back, H series caseback nice CG and tight lever, nice crown the works. And a new CN movement that doesnt have the annoying metal sticker on the plates...nice lettering of Officine Panerai also. (WIll post pics later when this issue is resolved)

The issue is:

When I started winding the watch it was facing me (to see the second hand run) after a few turns.. no go ....a few more ..no go still.....winded it at max still no go.....I turn the watch around and see the oscilator running and the spring a bit like that ....see pictures.

73476-32048.jpg

73476-32049.jpg

Pictures are with a fully wound watch, and you can also see that the oscilator ticks when facing down.

The watch runs when it faces down and stops when it is 90 degrees or face up.

It seems to me that the spring is somehow crooked and when the watch is facing up it touches on the oscilator or something like that. Please also note the picture of the seconds hand showing it at a steep angle with the dial. But I dont think this is what cause the problem.

73476-32050.jpg

Heeeeeelp!!!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::wounded1::wounded1::g:

It's asian unitas. Dealer answered that he checked it and it was working before shipping. I don't know how this could have happened.

There seems to be a sharp bend at the spring more obvious on the 2nd picture.

Anybody knows any watch repair guy in Brussels Belgium that is rep friendly...or should I just send it back for an exchange.

Edited by wireless

I had that happen after a fall (my daughter tossed one of my 6497s against the wall). If you can get the back off and give it a good shot of air (you don't want to use your breath because it has too much water) it might untangle the hairspring, at this point, it couldn't hurt it any more. At least for me, it untangled the hairspring and has worked perfect ever since.

come to think of it, I would only do this if you have experience taking the back off. It would really be bad idea if you scratched up the back trying to get this off and then had two problems as opposed to just one.