When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My explorer 1 stop after shower.

Master Chief

Although some will disagree with me....you should never take a replica into the shower or swim with it....

Obviously some water managed to creep into the case....

I would take the case back off immediately and hope that you can dry out the movement by letting it sit....not sure if that would work but when I was a kid my mother wore a Timex into the pool and it flooded the case....my father took the case back off and poured out the water and let it sit....a couple of days later the watch started up again....of course it was a quartz watch but still....took a licking and kept on ticking....

NS

Although some will disagree with me....you should never take a replica into the shower or swim with it....

I would take the case back off immediately and hope that you can dry out the movement by letting it sit....not sure if that would work but when I was a kid my mother wore a Timex into the pool and it flooded the case....my father took the case back off and poured out the water and let it sit....a couple of days later the watch started up again....of course it was a quartz watch but still....took a licking and kept on ticking....

I agree with your 1st statement, but not your 2nd -- at least not in the case of a mechanical watch (quartz movements contain relatively few actual moving parts). Once water has gotten into the movement, it is usually too late. After it dries, it may or may not run for a bit, but, eventually, it will die unless the movement is disassembled, cleaned, lubricated & reassembled before it rusts.

If you want to take your watch for a swim, shower or bath, it must be pressure-tested regularly (at least once/year) by a professional watchmaker. Just because it survived the last shower is no guarantee that it will make it through the next 1.

I know this has been asked before, but why would you take a shower with your watch on? That's not a rhetorical question, and I'm not simply being facetious - I really want to know! ("because I can" isn't really an answer either). There are better ways to clean it.

I completely disagree with those who would argue against swimming with a rep - All my Rolex reps, my second BCE, and my Colt have all been tested and all get wet with no problems whatsoever. The thing about a shower isn't so much the water as it is a)the water pressure, and B) the temperature changes. Going from a cold room to a hot shower to a cold room and blasting a watch that has not been properly prepared for that will have consequences. I have an Sub that is my "Hot tub watch" but it gets checked and treated before and after every snowboarding season, and if it dies, I'll live.

Even the SSD is a hit-and-miss affair unless the watch has been properly pressure tested. One SSD may make it down 100ft while the next 1 may take in moisture during a humid day. And any watch with a caseback that can be removed using a balled-up wad of masking tape or 1 of those popular caseback 'balls' is an accident waiting to happen -- the temperature changes of daily life cause the metals to expand & contract enough to crack whatever seal the caseback may have had when it left the factory or seller's 'QC' lab. Even though I perform all of the maintenance on my watches & I know they are properly sealed, I always remove any rep or franken that is fitted with anything less than a recent vintage (that is, newly manufactured) gen (or Clarks, which are made very well) crystal when my wrist is going to be exposed to anything more than a mild drizzle of rain. And, even then, I do my best to keep my watch wrist dry.

Sorry for my english, I'm from Italy and i'm not write very well.

Ok. If some water with soap is come inside the watch you must wash it.

Yes, wash with distilled water.

After about one day of soaking you must reoiled the caliber.

Maybe I've been lucky all these years! I never take off any of my watches before I take a shower or work out in the gym or any activity! The only time I take off my watch is when I go to bed! Although there's always an exemption to this rule.....any of my watches that has a leasther strap don't touch water.....and definitely not a Navitimer! And I only swim and dive with screw down crown type watches!

Since last year, when I had the guts to open all my Reps and got comfortable doing it, I greaased all their rubber gaskets (crown and caseback) and all the new ones I get! So far, so good!