When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First Rolex Sub Rep

freebie

A friend of mine in Hong Kong sent me a Rep as a gift, about two weeks back, and I would like to know if anyone can identify ALL the errors?

It beats at 5 a second, but I cannot open the back to ID the contents, and I am relunctant to open it anyway.

The crystal is set lower than a Gen, but the cyclops appears to be quite acccurate.

I am sure the CGs are wrong. The strap finger nick sure is!

The links opened up a bit in one area, so I pulled them apart, washed with acetone, and used Loctite to fix them back in place, and it has lasted well.

I will wear this for the time being, as it is accurate to about +3 seconds a day, based on TZ-UKs clock.

I might mod it later.

Thoughts?

Rep1.jpg

rep2.jpg

rep3.jpg

rep4.jpg

rep5.jpg

rol6.jpg

rol3.jpg

We refer to this watch as having a 'wok-like rehaut'. We are referring to the way the inside ring between the crystal and the dial slopes in- like a WOK. Probably an asian 21j movement inside. Bracelet isn't very good- maybe a $25-50 watch over in Hong Kong.

But welcome to RWG! There are better subs like the noobmariner, or beginmariner for not a whole lot more money.

Here's Josh's version:

http://www.pc-80108.com/rlss10009-black-be...ing-p-2303.html

This watch also comes with the ETA movement for around $100 more. Then you can mod them and make them even more accurate. Hope you enjoy the hobby, it can be a blast.

That 14060 could be a great watch with a couple of mods- trim the crown guards, maybe a better pearl, and grease the o-rings and check it for WR- then it would be a great beater as they say and I doubt you'd ever get called out (other than the group that always asks, "Oh a Rolex, is it a fake?" And to those turkeys, I put it to my ear and say, "No, it's still ticking.")

The 14060 is somewhat understated and that can be good.

As a gift, you got a good watch.

Hope that not too many members here decide to unload on you as that might put you off of rep collecting for the wrong reason.

It's really a nice hobby and I welcome you aboard.

Just try to stick around and you will have a good time!

Carl

As a gift, you got a good watch.

Hope that not too many members here decide to unload on you as that might put you off of rep collecting for the wrong reason.

It's really a nice hobby and I welcome you aboard.

Just try to stick around and you will have a good time!

Carl

Thanks, Carl.

I actually lurked here for a few weeks before I got the Sub, so I had a crash course in watch terms and terminology.

My uncle bought a Gen Sub in 1973, and I was hooked, but cash has always been the restricting factor.

I owned enough Seikos, Citizens etc that I could have bought the real thing by now!

I will try and source a better rep as time goes by, that no-date seems to be whispering my name!

Right.

I have had a play with this one, measured with verniers, and 10X magnifying loupe.

I showed it to a mate who wears a gen Sub from 1983.

He pointed out the faults.

I have checked the accuracy, and it has gained 10 seconds since I got it in the mail. Good enough for me!

I have decided to strip it, eutectic weld in 304 stainless pins, use a black Nato strap, ALA Bond, put in a new nameless and dateless black dial which I will make from scratch, using my GID powder, which glows REALLY bright for 12 hours, and make a tribute style watch.

I might use the same hands, or find wider ones for better GID effect.

I will remove the bezel, and bleach it a bit, and sand it down to recess it a bit. I will make a new flat pearl, using the same GID powder and epoxy.

While I am not a watchmaker, I have done similar fine work with knives, and firearms.

I will take pics as I go, and post them here, if that is alright?

Wish me luck!

Edited by freebie