When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

F.M. Dial Swap.

rodwc

Has anyone ever done a F.M. crazy hours dial swap between a gen. dial and a rep dial?

Things to watch out for, jump hour hand removal, dial fittings etc. ?

The differences are quite subtle, with the gen. dial printing being much finer and the numeral serifs also being finer.

Any info. would be most welcome, many thanks.

CIMG1439.jpg

CIMG1443.jpg

CIMG1444.jpg

Has anyone even SEEN under a FM crazy hours dial?

The hand color can be changed if I know how to take them off.

Don`t want to just pull them and stuff things up.

The hand colour is correct in blue, don't go changing them!! :o

That's a tough one--CH hands are tough...it really depends on the specific dial color and the year. I'd not take my or anyone else's word for it and llok for a pic. I'm thinking the purple dial uses hands whatever color the case is, which would be "white gold" on the rep. First check the size of both dials--a dial for a gen 5850 crazy hours will not fit the rep "5850" which is really the same size as a gen 2852. The gen's ffet will I beleive be @ 9 and 3, as per the 2892. I don't know where the feet are on the asian auto dial, but I bet somewhere else. If the size works, I'd really just send it out to one of our smiths.

I'd really just send it out to one of our smiths.

If that is the only way, fine,

but it seems a little defeatist to me, I mean a simple dial change.

All I am asking for is a little information, its not like its a multi function, chronograph that I

wan`t to pull apart.

Maybe because FM crazy hours is not a popular watch here, but out of a membership of over 10,000

I simply thought that at least one person could shed some light here ?

The search function is, "down" so I can`t get any info. there, I have searched through Google and nothing there.

I would gladly do a pictorial about the whole thing, if I could get started.

The Zigmeister, could you possibly help with any info please ? Would really appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

Re-Posted from Rep-Geeks.

Without this information from Pugwash, I don`t think this would have been done.

You can remove the dial remarkably easy. The hands and dial are easy enough to remove. It only gets dangerous if you take the plate behind the dial off.

All done.

Without this info. this would have been put on the back burner or in the too hard basket, so I really appreciate this information from you

Pugwash.

I see what you mean about the plate behind the dial, but there is absolutely no need to go there.

Pics. have been taken , making it far easier now for anyone else to have a go.

Without members such as yourself, many of us here would tend to shy away from jobs we havn`t done before.

CIMG1461.jpg

CIMG1463.jpg

CIMG1472.jpg

That plate on the back is wild. I guess you would need it to set the movement in the right position. :lol: It is pretty amazing that they have repped this movement functionally accurate. Out of curiousity, do all gen crazy hours have the same hour pattern around the dial?

That plate on the back is wild. I guess you would need it to set the movement in the right position. :lol: It is pretty amazing that they have repped this movement functionally accurate. Out of curiousity, do all gen crazy hours have the same hour pattern around the dial?

These are the only configuration I can ever remember but it' not so common a watch so possibly there are others although with this 4 step system there are may combinations possible

The plate seen with the numerals on, is in fact , the front plate. ( under the dial )

These printed numerals correspond with the actual dial numerals.

There is no setting needed at all, apart from the position of the hour hand, insert the crown, turn until the

hour flips, position the minute hand, ( on the hour ) .......finished.

As far as I have seen , all crazy hours have the same dial layout, with the subdued pattern around the dial.

White dial/black dial/ color dreams dial.

Thanks for the info. It is interesting that both this one and the Vegas have movements that are so well done. I once was sitting across from a guy with his $16k gold vegas while wearing the SS rep. Thanks god he knew I collected all kind of watches. When we compared the roulette wheel mechanism we both concluded that the rep mechanism was better than the gen. Then again is was beautiful Rose Gold. :D

Pardon my ignorance but what size are they? Same as the Conquistador? I walk by the Muller window quite often and I really like their bigger pieces. For my taste the Conquistador is border line on size and the Vegas never gets any wrist time as it is too small for me.

Thanks for the info. It is interesting that both this one and the Vegas have movements that are so well done. I once was sitting across from a guy with his $16k gold vegas while wearing the SS rep. Thanks god he knew I collected all kind of watches. When we compared the roulette wheel mechanism we both concluded that the rep mechanism was better than the gen. Then again is was beautiful Rose Gold. :D

Pardon my ignorance but what size are they? Same as the Conquistador? I walk by the Muller window quite often and I really like their bigger pieces. For my taste the Conquistador is border line on size and the Vegas never gets any wrist time as it is too small for me.

The crazy hours is 38mm x 32 mm. and like you say wears a little small.

The conquistador perpetual calendar wears 100% better at 42 mm x 38 mm. and appears to dwarf the crazy hours side by side.

This shows that pictures can tell a different story.

CIMG1159.jpgCIMG1472.jpg