When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My thin case for a 116520 Daytona project

ubiquitous

:g:

These things are always a little ugly when the metal work starts. Also, this one seems to have been worked on prior, so I do my best to work with what I have.

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg

After a little more work... Shaping up a bit...

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

Crown is simply positioned in the case- No tube (just to give a general idea).

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

More to come? Maybe...

Heh... I've had a couple of opportunities to buy a gen 4130; one occurance with dial and slim hands. Price was a bit steep however (and rightly so- I mean, how often do these things come available?), plus there's the issue of finding a proper genuine case (a 16520 case would probably be just different enough to not work without modification). By the time I'd finished building, I could just buy a complete B&P'd gen for a slight bit of a stretch more (around a $1.5k difference if memory serves me correct).

Building is absolutely fun, but factoring in the cost of diminishing return keeps me in check :)

ah ah, you see... B)

Thanks Ubi :)

But seconds @ 12 :o

Ooops! Sorry... I have AP ROO on the mind.

Sec@6:00...

Heh heh...

My Uncle has been wanting one of these, so I may gift it to him? Not sure yet...

Ubiquitous -- franken-scholar, watch fiend & an altruistic gentleman. :good:

Idolreplicas (watch-ebay replacement site) has pictures on their site of what may be the 1st gen 116520 watch that I & a few other RWG members have. These watches came with the correct low profile/accurate rehaut cases & more robust secs at 6 A7750 movements (to my knowledge, none of these 1st generation secs at 6 A7750s have died prematurely -- mine has been running for nearly 4 years without problems). Stephane & I have placed an order for 1 of these watches as a test & the watch is scheduled to arrive in about a week. The seller has assured me that I will be happy & that the pictures are accurate (yada, yada, yada......), but I will report back with a review shortly after its arrival. If all goes well, the plan is to mate the case & movement from this watch with the dial & rotor from 1 of Josh's 116520s to reproduce another watch similar to this 1 (my watch has also been fitted with a gen Triplock crown/tube, pushers & chrono/subdial hands & I modded the CGs)

Image51.jpg

marbles0101.jpg

pinkjeans0091.jpg

But I would warn others that some of the pictures of the watch on idolreplicas have been proven to be incorrect. Also, another member recently purchased the same watch & received an altogether different (& lower-end) rep that was not the watch pictured. So you might want to wait to see what we receive before gambling your money.

So this project will end up in a regular first thin rep shape, right?

Or you will try to use gen dial?

Rep 7750 pinion is too big to fit gen dial....

Are you directing these questions to Ubi or me?

My watches are fitted with dials from Josh's 116520 reps, which are so close to the gens that it makes buying gen dials seem like a waste of money (search out By-Tor's excellent review of Stephane's stock rep from Josh for details). I do not know what dial Ubi plans to use for his project? But, based on his comments, I suspect it will be the same dial I am using (& for the same reasons).

Yessir, Freddy! You guessed it... I'll be going the rep dial route. The gen is nice... And we all know that nothing beats gen... But the rep dial (as on your beauty, which, BTW is making me salivate a bit) is pretty dang close.

Who knows... I may just hang onto this one :) Something to keep the El Primeros company...

Ubiquitous -- franken-scholar, watch fiend & an altruistic gentleman. :good:

BTW... It is YOU who are thee gentleman...

^_^

Cheers!

R

Here's one for freddy... The caseback...

IMG_3254.jpg

And a few other quick and dirties just taken...

Comparison in case height with one of my 16520 frankens...

IMG_3248.jpg

And stacked...

IMG_3252.jpg

The caseband profile is roughly the same, though there is a far more pronounced lip on the 116520 rep case to facilitate the mod 7750. As such, the rep case sits taller when placed on it's caseback side by side with my El Primero case.

IMG_3246.jpg

Don't mind the crystal... Again, another temporary item used for test muling...

Here's one for freddy... The caseback...

IMG_3254.jpg

You know it, Ubi. That is exactly what I want to see. So is this caseback fitted to your 116520 project or is that the 16520? If the 116520, can you get more?

And did you find a gen or proper profile aftermarket 116520 bezel for your project? And, if so, can you get more those too?

Well, it's interesting. The caseback pictured in my prior post is what's fitted to my 116520 rep case as it was rec'd. It's very much the same as my MBW 16520 EP400's caseback. Unfortunately, since I picked this case set up used, I have no idea where it was originally sourced from. A shame as I'd like to buy a couple of spares for my own inventory as well.

As for the bezel... I replaced my old MBW 16520 bezel with a genuine bezel, so I was planning to either use that, or if I'm feeling splurgy I'll pick up another gen to use:

MBW bezel:

206_0630.jpg

Genuine bezel:

IMG_2263a.jpg

Physically, the bezels are the same size, shape, etc.

Well, it's interesting. The caseback pictured in my prior post is what's fitted to my 116520 rep case as it was rec'd. It's very much the same as my MBW 16520 EP400's caseback. Unfortunately, since I picked this case set up used, I have no idea where it was originally sourced from. A shame as I'd like to buy a couple of spares for my own inventory as well.

Damn! The search goes on then.

As for the bezel... I replaced my old MBW 16520 bezel with a genuine bezel, so I was planning to either use that, or if I'm feeling splurgy I'll pick up another gen to use:

MBW bezel:

206_0630.jpg

Genuine bezel:

IMG_2263a.jpg

Physically, the bezels are the same size, shape, etc.

Hmmmmm............Now that I see them together & close up, I have a question.........& I may be bass-ackwards about this but........does your 16520 have a 116520 bezel on it?

I thought the difference between the 16520 & 116520 bezels were that the current 1 (116520) has deeper & bolder fonts, while the previous 1 (16520) had lighter gauge fonts like the MBW. Your MBW bezel looks exactly like the bezel that came on my low profile 116520 case. Right down to the slightly elevated 'UNITS PER HOUR' text, which has always made me think the factory fit leftover 16520 rep bezels to these 1st gen 116520 reps.

pinkjeans0091.jpg

What do you think?