When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW 6265 Pre-daytona

pitimany

Mov dimensions research suggested it was posible to replace a VJ72 with a VJ92.

DSCN4132.jpg

Hands and case needed minor changes.

DSCN4134.jpg

DSCN4135.jpg

Stems for VJ92 are size 12, so the crown was also modded (waiting for the epoxy to dry)

DSCN4137.jpg

DSCN4133.jpg

it is keeping time so far and the chronos working fine. :D

Thanks

Another Newman taking shape & looking good.

How much work was it to fit the V92 in the case? I think the only dimensional difference between the 2 movements is that the 92 is a hair thinner than the V72.

There is 1 small fly in the ointment (if accuracy is the goal) -- you have the wrong pushers for a 6265 or any Daytona with an Oyster dial (or the wrong dial for a non-Oyster case/pushers). The 6265 s all came with screw-type pushers, but it is a relatively easy swap once you locate the correct pushers.

Also, the Oyster 6265s came with either a Twinlock or Triplock crown, but both were 7mms, not the smaller 6mm that came on earlier Daytonas.

I did not mean to criticize, but I thought it better to know than not.

Another Newman taking shape & looking good.

How much work was it to fit the V92 in the case? I think the only dimensional difference between the 2 movements is that the 92 is a hair thinner than the V72.

There is 1 small fly in the ointment (if accuracy is the goal) -- you have the wrong pushers for a 6265 or any Daytona with an Oyster dial (or the wrong dial for a non-Oyster case/pushers). The 6265 s all came with screw-type pushers, but it is a relatively easy swap once you locate the correct pushers.

Also, the Oyster 6265s came with either a Twinlock or Triplock crown, but both were 7mms, not the smaller 6mm that came on earlier Daytonas.

I did not mean to criticize, but I thought it better to know than not.

Hi Freeddy,

You are correct in all your points, and they are well received here.

This has improved dial. see

Image1.jpg

This case came with mayor problems from DW. It did not fit a Vj72 or VJ23.

It is one more for the family (BTW: all had VJ72)

ff.jpg

a.jpg

Edited by pitimany

Good work on that crown. I think Avitt had to do the same thing on 1 of his DWs.

There are at least 5 or 6 variations of each of the Newman dials & some of them have really bad crowns. The best of them have crowns that are nearly exact copies of the gen crowns, while the worst I have ever seen is 1 of Phong's (jewelryandwatch.com)

jw6239.jpg

(I just copied this dial from his site today)

Fortunately, most of the Newman dials I have gotten from DW have the better crowns (and, overall, are the best made dials).

The 2 most obvious flaws on these dials are the incorrect font used for ROLEX (mainly the 'O', which lacks the variable thick-side/thin-top stroke which is missing on most of these aftermarket dials) & the incorrect font used on the subdial numbers (most obvious on the '3', which lacks the proper tail as on the gen)

newman3s.jpg

This case came with mayor problems from DW. It did not fit a Vj72 or VJ23.

Yes, there is alot of case to case variability in the manufacturing tolerances. I think DW sources the cases from different factories. 1 of mine was a nightmare as well.

It is one more for the family (BTW: all had VJ72)

Great family shot.