When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Suit Recommendations

b16a2

I know that on this board we have some very knowledgeable people in the area of business etiquette and norms, so I thought I would throw a question your way.

I have a commercial internship with a company in the summer, and am looking to buy another suit to rotate with my current one.

At the moment I own a black three button suit, with a very subtle thin pinstripe. I have been looking at either a very dark grey two button, or a dark navy three button. I would like opinions on what would make a good addition to the wardrobe? I'm not really looking for brand recommendations, more the style, buttons and colour.

I am 5 11" white male, short dark hair, with an athletic build.

Many thanks in advance!

My all time favourite is my three button dark navy from a famous italian designer. Slim fit, but still classy.

The guys from the european GTG have seen it in person...

So guess what my suggestion will be.

:D

I think you can't go wrong with a slim cut navy suit, which you can dress up with a tie and white shirt, or down with an open collar in cobalt blue or whatever. However, if your other suit is already black, you might want to go with a light grey or khaki suit. That way you have some contrast. I would check out H&M...it has several inexpensive but decent suits, khaki, light grey, navy, etc. Also, check out the latest edition of GQ, which has an article about the best suits under $300.

I know a shi*load about men's clothes, and I can say with all confidence that an inexpensive but well-fitting suit is great. Just don't wear cheap shoes or cheap shirts and ties. Also, stick with muted colors like black white grey or navy. Don't think you're styling when you wear that neon orange tie..cus you ain't. Cary Grant always wore only solid black or silver ties with his either gray, navy or khaki suits, and think how good he looked. Check out North by Northwest, in which the Grantster wears a banker's grey three button suit (Brooks Brothers) with a white plain point collar shirt and solid silver-grey tie.

Hope the foregoing helps you out.

Slim cut, two or even one button, no shoulder pads, cuffs on the trousers are what's "in" these days, which is sort of cool because excellent suits w/ those characteristics never go out of style as long as you stay away from some of the more exaggertated peak lapels and ultra slim cuts some designers are doing. I'm with you-- taking advantage of the classic trend and going out to buy a few nice suits this year to replace all the 3 button/shoulder padded closet decorators. Start w/ the basics and the classics: a solid blue, a medium gray subtle windowpane, and a charcoal chalkstripe. Then you can move on to the variety patterns if you need to. I know you don't want brand or store advice, but I love outlet malls and discount websites. Just bought a couple of absolutely beautiful Corneliani suits on sale @ Off 5th, which the salesman said are identical to the suits Corneliani makes for Ralph Lauren's purple and black labels. I paid $1225 for 2 super 150 suits w. sewn button holes and pic stitching on the lapels that retail at $1095 each.

As previously recommended, better to save money w/ an H&M or off brand suit and go out and get a nice pair of shoes. Carmina, Pakwood, and Alden make nice handmade shoes at not very insane prices. Expensive to be sure but 1/3 of the price of the super famous brands. A $150 H&M sit and a $350 pair of shoes beats a $500 suit and a pair of Florsheims any day of the week.

All good advice...my 'dont' recommendation is straight black. You're not attending a funeral. Also, stick to classic blue and white shirts...some of our interns think they can be jazzy with different color combos. When you're an intern, think subdued. You walk into the position being judged and people are looking for mistakes during the first weeks, not positives...sorry to be harsh, but its a general fact. If you need to pull ideas from one place that wont screw up your career: Brooks Brothers.

When I worked in the "corporate" world, I owned many suits. They all had their own purpose:

Interviewing: I had the charcoal dark gray, thin pin stripe. It was a two button. I called this my "Power" suit because it always got the job. I suggest this for any interview.

On the job: When working I had the either slate blue or navy blue (plain, straight, or herringbone stitch). Very versatile with almost any shirt and tie combination.

Summer: I had the tan or olive poplin suit. non-textured stitch and light, two button. You can always find a tan linen suit as well. Light and easy.

Out on the town: Any three button, pin stripe or flat black. The chicks really dig a sharp dressed man...and this works.

Church: Well, from my part of the world; the South, we wear the blue and white Seersucker...also known as the Lawyer's suit.

Going to a day party: White linen. Enough said.