When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DeWitt Academia

perry563

Just recieved a DeWit Academia in the mail this AM. WHAT A NICE WATCH!!!! The fit and finish is just about perfect cosmetically and so far telling time on the money. I do see two small issues that I would like those more knowledagble to comment upon....

1) The Titaniam clasp tends to pop open the first and second time I try putting the watch on. After 2-3 tries it stays closed.

2) There is a minute chrono dial on the right side. I notice that the hand on this dial has a little "play" Of course it should stay EXACTLY on "30" (pointing straight up) when I am not useing the chrono function. However I can tap lightly the sides of the watch case and make the hand move ever so slightly to the right side of the top marker. Its slight but enough to show others that it looks like the watch has not reset perfectly to "30". Furthermore when the chrono is working the hand does not at times land perfectly on the next minute but instead is slightly "ahead" of the minute marker. Of course I can just tap the case and move the hand to the right position but any movement from my wrist and the hand moves again off center. Just to emphisize......its not off by much..its slight..maybe half the thickness of the markers but enough so that one can see that the marker is not fully centered under the hand.

Thoughts anyone????

I would contact your dealer because of that minute hand. Probably it can be easily repaired if you are skilled, but I wouldn't take the risk myself in such a nice watch.

I think he should send you a replacement if he is one of the good honest guys.

He is one of the good dealers. He tells me both issues are common. I can work on the clasp with some oil. The dial hand is only VERY slightly to the right. (like one half the thickness of a second mark on the dial) It certainly does bug me since I know it should be straight up and down like an arrow. I will play with the chrono the next few days and see if the issue somehow corrects itself.

My HBB is fine also. If you tap the case slightly the hand will move...and yes its just like mine about one third of a mm but enough to make your blood pressure rise!!!!

I LOVE the watch and wont send it back since most of the pictures I have seen show the same issue. Like most issues with reps the lay person will never notice so lets try to stop looking at it!! LOL

Mine doesn't have the issue with the 1/3 mm play in the minute counter (I got mind from Josh... if that makes any difference).

Regarding the Band...

1. The clasp issue bugs me too. I don't know if it's a defect or a poor design. Just like jockl1978, I close both parts at the same time.
  2. I'd wear the watch every day, but those little band-release 'buttons' dig into my wrist.
  3. There's no fine adjustment. You have to cut the band to fit your wrist (hope you don't make a mistake) and live with that size.
  4. One last thing, I can't change the band because it requires a special tool (which I can't, yet, find).

Beautiful watch, inferior band.

Double check the hand on that right side dial. Tap the case side and see if it does not move ever so slightly. It looked fine to me also until I wore it a while.

I think the band is fantastic. I was careful not to cut too much off and make it too tight on my wrist. Clasp needs some extra effort to close but I can live with that.

The big issue with this watch I think aside from that dial hand is the inability to remove the case back for servise. I was told that only the factory has the special tool to remove the back. So if and when it requires serive you would need to send the watch back to China to have it opened.

I loved the look too much so I bought it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...