When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Advice

vlydog

I have been thinking long and hard about my next PAM. I want my next to be different than my 219 but to satisfy my taste. This might end up being a Fraken of sorts. Here all the facts:

Solid case back model series A-D

This is the movement that I will use.

tourby.jpg

Nice movement!

Are those panerai bridges engraved or are they foil?

I have been thinking long and hard about my next PAM. I want my next to be different than my 219 but to satisfy my taste. This might end up being a Fraken of sorts. Here all the facts:

Solid case back model series A-D

This is the movement that I will use.

tourby.jpg

SS or TI

Black or Brown sausage dial

1st choice would be a base but Marina OK

peepshow has already given me some great advice; what about everyone else.

Thank you

Nice movement!

Are those panerai bridges engraved or are they foil?

Look at the screw in the balance wheel bridge and answer this question yourself... ;)

There is no rep OP II movement with engraved bridges.

If you go for Ti it should be 055 or 061, both brown dials obviously, but the closed Ti caseback would be a lucky find. I

Edited by Fish

I believe DSN is the only one making an 055 dial, however and his brown dials (036, 061, 055 and 056) are all reported to have a slight "purple" hue to the brown color, FWIW.

You could try contacting Joshua or Angus to see if they could source a 118/061 dial for you.

Davidsen and Angus both contacted; waiting response.

leaning toward the 55 with a nice honey gator strap.

The way to the perfect PAM 061 rep:

Good Ti case:

There are many different Ti cases around. A most important thing is a nice fat crown guard. No reason to worry about the CG of the 036 Ti case, the pin can be pushed out and after drilling the upper hole to 1mm it is no problem to get it in the right way. Getting the upper side rounded is most important to achieve an authentic appearance. Only takes patience and some good sanding paper.

Next thing are the lug ends. All rep cases have rounded lug end topsides. They need to be flattened, compare gen pics and the stainless steel cases.

The crown:

There are disappointing crowns that are not worth to mention. The authentic crown has 60 teeth and is 1,95mm thick. There are nice looking fat crowns that usually come with the 036 case. Unfortunatelly the have only 48 teeth. Davidsen has nice 60 teeth Ti crowns, but they need a matching tube. There is no way to install a gen crown until you get a gen tube as well, because that requires a completelly different tube than what we

Edited by Fish

- Rep PAM 061 with lug ends corrected, Cannon pin flattened and polished (might do a little more), CG corrected.

- Pic of the Ti caseback

(red background)

- Pic of a rep dial with correct spacing but incorrect indices and numbers

- Wristshot with lemon tree (rep 061)

- Closeups of a gen 118 dial for comparison

post-10478-1209456047_thumb.jpg

post-10478-1209456171_thumb.jpg

post-10478-1209456403_thumb.jpg

post-10478-1209456425_thumb.jpg

post-10478-1209456438_thumb.jpg

post-10478-1209456467_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fish

Fish, that's a beauty of a 061 rep! You need to get one of those gen Ti crowns for that bad-boy...

Thank you! :D

I got one of that gen Ti crowns... You would have to machine a completelly different tube to install it.The tube would need a wider hole, a smaller outside diameter and a step with a lower rim to support the crown when locked down and a higher part on the inner edge that goes into the crown to meet the main gasket. The two o-ring gaskets on the crown shaft are nice to keep dust out, but would not keep the watch waterproof without a working main crown gasket.

So to install the gen crown you would need a gen tube or a tube that is machined to the gen

Edited by Fish

Fish, other than the crown being too close to the case (I think the rep crown has no lip on the underside like the gen) it's a near perfect 61.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well, it would have some more space if I had not sanded the CG feet a little. It is a little close, but locks down perfectly on the O-ring gasket and passed the pressure test with flying colors. Thank you! If I only had a few more teeth on my crown...

Anyway, better 12 teeth less on the crown than in the face.

Caseback

Hard to get, there is some luck needed, Best contact would be DSN as he is the only one who seems to have (had) them.

How much would you expect to pay for the caseback..???....Somehow, I can't recall where or when, I acquired one of these, It now sits aback my 036, hiding the incorrect movement inside....Are they really scarce...???

Well, I paid 30$ for mine. Not quite for free, but not too much either. That

Edited by Fish