When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would you rather own 10 reps or this Sony Bravia 40inch LCD HD TV?

DemonSlayer

50fps would look more like Camcorder footage/ TV show.

Only at first. Once we get used to stupidly high-resolution images at high frame rates, our brains will adjust. :)

The battle scenes in Gladiator, for instance, were filmed with a video camera, the immediacy it brought changed the ways our brains worked.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing that the LG Viewty (mobile phone) records in DivX format at upto 120fps!

My Nokia N82 only does 30fps 640x480...

It's a bandwidth issue.

320x240x120 is the same bandwidth as 640x480x30.

Much like 1080i (1920x1080x30) uses roughly the same bandwidth as 720p (1280x720x60), which is why we have those two formats. They both approach the absolute bandwidth limit of the technology available at time the standards were created.

I just picked myself up a Samsung LN-T5781FX and I love it. LCD's are topping Plasma sales and I believe is more of an international standard. While the best plasma's generally do have crisper blacks, I like the cinematic feel of LCD's. Plasma is still a phosphor based technology and believe it will get phased out. They are heavier, emit glare off the screen and have a screen door effect when up close and have a chance of image burn on cheaper units with stagnant images. LED technology will surpass that of plasma and this is evident of manufactures' websites. More LCD available than plasma. My Samsung has multiple LED backlights and a contrast ratio of 500000:1. The picture IMO rivaled the best Plasma's I looked at. To answer the original question on the thread, buy your 10 reps and finance your tv over 1 year with no interest :p

Only at first. Once we get used to stupidly high-resolution images at high frame rates, our brains will adjust. :)

The battle scenes in Gladiator, for instance, were filmed with a video camera, the immediacy it brought changed the ways our brains worked.

This 'immediacy effect' was achieved by the higher 'shutter speed'. Not because of the camera.

(This effect is "fun" for action scenes.. but imagine watching the whole movie like that).

50fps will never work for cinema. (its been debated for decades the conclusion is always the same).

Edited by Homer

I like the cinematic feel of LCD's.

:huh:

My Samsung has multiple LED backlights and a contrast ratio of 500000:1.

That number means nothing in the real world..

but the marketing hype is clearly working on you.

Edited by Homer

LED technology will surpass that of plasma and this is evident of manufactures' websites. More LCD available than plasma.

:wallbash:

ITS BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPER TO MAKE, ship and store.

25-04-2008:

"Pioneer Corporation and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., best known for its Panasonic products, today reached a basic agreement on a comprehensive PDP business alliance to further progress and reinforce the PDP businesses".

Edited by Homer

Actually, larger sets like 60" and up are more pricey for LCD than Plasma. The Samsung is probably the brightest and dynamic LCD available. When I compared it to others on flat setting, it blew the doors off the other sets. Mind you I never got to see a Kuro. Plasma units are susceptible to high altitude pressure interference where it emits a buzzing noise. Not so good in mountain regions. LCD's consume much less power than plasma. No image burn means better overall compatibility for gaming and computing. Yes, plasma is better for viewing angles and generally produces better blacks. The Kuro is arguably the best consumer HD based display on the market but was sold out everywhere I went. I might have ended up with that set if I actually got to see one. There is good and bad about both technologies but I am fairly happy with my purchase. It is more than adequate in size for my bedroom and I will probably go with a Kuro for my basement when it gets finished. Take a look at the Samsung. I think you will be quite suprised and impressed on how far LCD has evolved.

:wallbash:

ITS BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPER TO MAKE!!

25-04-2008:

"Pioneer Corporation and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., best known for its Panasonic products, today reached a basic agreement on a comprehensive PDP business alliance to further progress and reinforce the PDP businesses".

• 2 months later...
It's a bandwidth issue.

320x240x120 is the same bandwidth as 640x480x30.

Much like 1080i (1920x1080x30) uses roughly the same bandwidth as 720p (1280x720x60), which is why we have those two formats. They both approach the absolute bandwidth limit of the technology available at time the standards were created.

I know this I was just saying...

I'm guessing Nokia didnt see much use for the 120fps (as every other phone company didnt) but it does allow you to make nice slow motion videos :)