When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Heads up if you want a PAM 28 - with ETA 2892 Soprod

fishgodeep

I em not a fan of using ioffer, if for sale her i woud buy it NOW.

Dani - come out of Bangkok if that makes any difference????

Seller speaks perfect English and communication was flawless.

Payment - Delivery in 10 days

Kruzer - thanks ...trigger finger must have had a tremor... -)

:fish:

If I didn't already have a 027 with The Zigmeister at the moment (for tritium colour lume, Lello datewheel, Ssurfer cyclops, gen crown, JF crownguard & correct seconds hand) I would go for one of these. It will really need the same mods + Rolli PVD but will be a real cracker then. I just love the hobnail 'T' dial.

If I didn't already have a 027 with Ziggy at the moment (for tritium colour lume, Lello datewheel, Ssurfer cyclops, gen crown, JF crownguard & correct seconds hand) I would go for one of these. It will really need the same mods + Rolli PVD but will be a real cracker then. I just love the hobnail 'T' dial.

T - let me know if you want the spare Hobnail dial I have..?

S

As far as I know the PVD on that watch is not PVD. My guess is anodizing. If you are determined to take it to the next level you would get it beadblasted and coated in TIN. But these are hard to come by and a must have a PAManiacs. As Simon surely is. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Anodized it is.

PAM1A are you speaking of the technique similar to what people do to darken the Ti on their 192's?

As far as I know the PVD on that watch is not PVD. My guess is anodizing.

Anodized it is.

Fellows, you know how I love you, but, with all due respect, I don't think it is anodized.

Stainless steel cannot get anodized (i.e. oxidated, as anodizing is an oxidation process) at common temperature and pH.

Anodizing stainless steel would be more expensive and far less effective than applying a true PVD coat, especially if a low-quality, low-cost PVD.

From Wikipedia:

Anodizing, or anodising, is an electrolytic passivation process used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of metal parts. ... Anodic films are most commonly applied to protect aluminium alloys, although processes also exist for titanium, zinc, magnesium, and niobium. This process is not a useful treatment for iron or carbon steel because these metals exfoliate when oxidized; i.e. the iron oxide (also known as rust) flakes off, constantly exposing the underlying metal to corrosion.

My guess is that it is true PVD, just low quality and performed without any former beadblasting (therefore its shiny look).

I am no metalurgist and spent more time trying to make things explode during chemistry at school than pay attention.....but I believe this to be PVD on a high polish case. Maybe not the best PVD - but actually is as tough as old boots!!!

Here's some quick and dirty pics which show how the colour is comparable to Rolli's PVD - but is far glossier due to the high polished case beneath.

I took a soft brass brush and a cape cod to the new one and I am quite satisfied ( for now) with how it looks.

New 28 - On Tan Strap

Jack IWW PVD 28 - on black strap

009- Rolli PVD - sure fire winner in my book!!!!

It's destined to become a 27 so the movement was the most important part for me. Out of the box I think this is very good - a DW and Cyclops are the mod priorities. The PVD ain't that bad IMHO...

Anyway ..forget the PVD ...check out the engine!!!!

P1020102.jpg

P1020103.jpg

P1020104.jpg

P1020105.jpg

P1020107.jpg

P1020108.jpg

P1020110.jpg

P1020111.jpg

P1020112.jpg

P1020113.jpg

Fish, my rating buttons seem vanished, else I would rate your post a gold star!

Wow, just got back from Hong Kong watch heaven and I stumble on this post...just bought this 28 as well...I have my 027 at The Zigmeister's spa right now, but the PVD hob dial would be awesome. good find guys! ;)

Man sold off some things to friends that wanted them to dig up some cash for this one but it looks like he is out now. Said that he is trying work a deal for 50 more but that they may be substantialy more (I'm thinking 1K or above). No way I'm paying a grand for one of these before I even get into mods. Think I'll go work on a deal for the modded one I know of. Can't wait to see these when you get these done guys.