When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crystal Removal

I have a IWC 3717 case set. (there is no movement inside)

I need to remove the crystal and I don't know how. Does the case back need to be removed?

Or, does the bezel simply rotate off freeing the crystal?

Thank you, vlydog

You do need to remove the case back...and you need a crystal press. You can pick up a modest one for $30 or so. I think there are some posts on the board about this. But you WILL need a crystal press to remove the crystal and most definitely to install the crystal.

You do need to remove the case back...and you need a crystal press. You can pick up a modest one for $30 or so. I think there are some posts on the board about this. But you WILL need a crystal press to remove the crystal and most definitely to install the crystal.

Thank you for your response.

If you have a Harbor Freight Tools near you, they have crystal presses with nylon dies for under $15... you just won't get any large deep dies required for some removal jobs... here is where different diameter cardboard rolls come in handy... watch face down on the closest sized roll larger than the crystal, nylon die on top of crystal, tap with hammer. (you can put tissues inside the tube to cushion the crystal.. but if you are using something short like short like a roll of electrical tape (Subs, Daytona, etc.) then you aren't going to need it as much as you need to ensure you keep your 'stroke' short...)

before being told it's a no no... i did it with my thumbs.. the 3717 is not a thick crystal.. light pressure popped it right out..

I just ordered a crystal press.. cheap .. but I also ordered another crystal (screw) press.. the reason.. the cheaper set from China has some very large nylon dies ... something the other quality press does not.. and it would cost more to buy the nylon dies seperately..

Guest avitt

I don't see a problem with removing a crystal with your thumbs...I've done it a number of times.

I use this technique: I lay the watch on a magazine or other soft surface, with the crystal down. With one or two thumbs, I press the crystal down firmly at the edge, holding it against the magazine (which is resting on a table). Then, using my other fingers, I lift the watch case at the lugs.

By using this technique, I am actually lifting the case off of the crystal. When it breaks free, the crystal stays in place against the magazine...There's little chance of damaging anything.

However, as others have said, you will need a press to replace the crystal...

You will need a crystal press to install the crystal...so it doesn't make much sense to remove the crystal with your thumbs, and then buy a crystal press just for installing the crystal. Why not use the crystal press for both...that's what it's for. Just my cents... :lol:

If the crystal doesn't pop out with moderate pressure using your thumbs, then I'd stop and use a press at that point. If you start applying too much pressure that isn't evenly distributed around the diameter of the crystal, I would think you could break it. The 3717 is on the thinner side. Not as thin as the VCO, but close. Some are pretty stubborn too. Others pop out rather easily. Your mileage may vary. :)

As a follow-up to this, does this technique apply to the Vintage Daytona 6463?????? After you press the Crystal back in place, how do you make it water resistant?

Hey, I might be a little unconventional, but always use the proper sized die for pressing one out to ensure the pressure is even... even with a press and proper dies, removal without cracking isn't guaranteed, and some cases with really tight tolerances almost guarantee a crack or chip... a short quick tap on the properly sized die with a small hammer can sometimes work out better than a press, and is definitely better than using your thumbs...

HikeUSA - Most electrical tape rolls will be about the right size to hold the case for a sub or daytona... extending the theme you could use a carefully wrapped, appropriately sized coin for the inside die... but you still might need to invest in some GS Hypo crystal adhesive, properly applied, to completely ensure water-tightness (depending on your specific case and crystal)

I just use a vise to press it back on :D

I would agree with ximenes, if you do not have a press handy. Just be sure to place some (soft) rubber jaw covers on the vise so you do not damage the case or crystal. Also, you have to be careful to center the case in the jaws & apply gentle pressure evenly. You will likely have to press a bit, then rotate the case in the vise & apply a bit more pressure, then rotate again and apply more pressure. Keep rotating the case, pressing the crystal down a bit at a time until it bottoms evenly against the case.

I have an Oris CCLE. I received it with a tilted crystal. It is not plush with the case on all sides. How would you recommend I fix it. Would I have take it all apart or can just put pressure on the area of the crystal that sticks up. I heard it is a thick crystal, 4.5 mm. I am also a little scared of messing with this watch b/c it is supposed to be water resistant to 100m. Maybe it safer to find a watch smith to do it?

Crystals are held in place by fit right? No glue or other adhesives?

Yeah, the crystal can be pushed out with your thumbs but please don't try replacing it the way another member of this forum told me that he replaced his Panerai crystal, "Just set the watch on the floor, place the crystal on top and stand on it - no need for all the fuss". Maybe that's the way it's done in Switzerland!!!