When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strapmakers, a question

doc savage

I have a huge stack of leather samples that I was planning on making some practice straps out of; my question was what is the minimum size of a hide needed to get a decent strap? Looking at the construction of the straps I have now, it would depend on whether you intended to make the long strap out of one long strip or piece it together.

Anyway, some of this leather is extremely nice--they are samples for custom leather furniture in a variety of colors, grains, and thicknesses. The downside is that they are only maybe 9 inches by 7 inches in size, with a hole in one corner. I do have some duplicates among the 100 or more samples, but for the most part they are all unique.

If some brave craftsman thinks they can work with these they are welcome to some or all of it, for the cost of first dibs on some of the results of course. I can take some photos when I get home, but take my word for it--some of these would make KILLER straps in the right hands.