When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Care and feeding of the Asian 7750

ViceAdmiralJon

Hey all,

New to these forums...been lurking around here for a couple weeks, and been posting on some other rep forums. I like the Movement Q&A here.

Well, i'm 100% new to the world of reps, bought my first rep from Lawrence last week, and it's on its way! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Basically, i've never owned something more than a quartz watch, mechanical watches are a completely new world. I've been reading what i can find about how to take care of a mechanical movement like the 7750 thats in my new Carrera. There seem to be a couple schools of thought on how to take care of a 7750 (wind them, don't wind them, dont overwind them, wind them XX times, use the chronos sparingly, etc). Basically, i'm wondering what i'm going to need to do to get my new watch running properly after i take it out of the box. How to set time/date, how to get it moving for the first time, how to use the chronos properly, how to take care of it....

......You know....n00b stuff.....so i don't blow it up immediately. B)

Seems like there are some pretty movement-saavy people here, figured i'd ask. Thanks!

Wind it only genly when the movement has stopped other wise rock or twirl it in your hand to wind it or keep it on a winder, never change the date unless the time is set to 5:30, so that there is no way the date change gears could be engaging with the day and date wheels.

I will wind quite a bit, say up to 50 or so turns, but with moderate or gentle force -- not as fast or hard as you can.

I seldom leave my chronos parked. In my mind it's kind of like buying a great car but almost never using it. My opinion is that it's probably better to either run them all the time, or use them almost never, as opposed to clicking them on and off a lot.

Forum wisdom is that a well serviced Asian 7750 will last as long as any movement out there. However, consensus is also that some 7750s are delivered with clean, well-lubricated movements, others arrive either not particularly clean and/or not particularly well lubricated. Non-technical users (such as me) have no way of knowing the true condition of our movements.

My response is that if I truly want a new 7750 to last for a long, long time, then I invest in a preemptive service. Since a thorough service is close to the cost of a new reasonable quality rep, if I don't absolutely love the rep, I figure that if and when it does die I will spend the money I might have spent on service on a new rep instead. In my opinion that is the most important decision an Asian 7750 owner can make, more important than how you wind the watch, where you set the hands when you change the day/date, etc.

@ Jk i agree with almost all of what you say above but if you change the date at the wrong time it will fuck up

And I agree with you.... but I set my 7750s to 4:22 (hour and minute hands on top of each other) when I reset the day and date. The principal is the same, moving the hour and minute hands as far away as possible from the gears that change the day and date around the 12:00-1:00 hour.

I actually made this statement in my first draft, but I deleted it because I thought it was silly for me to nitpick about where to park the hour/minute hands. But in principal we are completely in agreement.

Cheers.

Yup. These guys are right, only change the date like advised above. I have one right now that I changed @ end of this month without even thinking about it and Eff'ed it up real good. Okay I was drinking and the date was the 31st so I changed it. Never crossed my mind and I know better. Me = Dummy stupid.

Also, I never play with the chronos. I just don't have a reason to. They are for looks I guess. lol.