When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Collectors/Dealers QC Problems

UncleJay

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The old timers have had their fill, being lucky enough to buy during the so called golden age"

You got that right.

I started with genuine watches waaay back and found replicas when they wound up with me for repair because no one else would work on them. They might not have been as close in appearance to genuine a few short years ago as they are now but "QC" (what there was of it) was a lot better then and less delivery hassles.

I am through with them now except to use for parts. Fully signed Eta clones were the last straw.

I also refuse to work on DOA China made Miyota clone movements. I flatten them with a hammer.

As for genuine...

They might be a bit more reliable but they cost too much and most swiss watch companies will not sell parts...if they do, they are too expensive anyway.

Genuine "luxury watches" are a lost cause imho, just another way to screw you out of your $$.

Something else...I bet sales of genuine "luxury" watches are down in the USA because of gasoline/diesel fuel and food prices getting jacked up daily...$3.55 for regular gasoline around here, up from $3.35 a week ago. Probably $4.00 by late June.

Dodge "Hemi" pickup trucks etc parked in front yards all over town with "For Sale" signs...some with "Make Offer" signs.

...while worn out 1980s four cylinder Toyota pickup trucks are priced over $4000...up from $1500 a couple years ago.

I saw a nice sapphire crystal rolex air king at a pawn shop a few weeks ago priced at $1200. I read the price code...they paid $400 for it. I guess the guy needed a tank of high test.

note: Around here, most of the pawn shops use HONEST BUCK for the code with numbers in place of the letters in different order from shop to shop.

Again, a post about this would give us an opportunity to observe how this new dealer resolves a problem - that is the best test of a seller imho.

I can't stress enough that proper after sales is what really counts in the rep world. And that's the only criterium for me to rate a collector.

When we have statements like " YOU WILL RECEIVE CR4P, UNTIL YOU HAVE A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH THE DEALER"
I hope you didn't take my words to mean what you wrote...

We all see QC problems from time to time,.. however if your dealer knows you are not just one of the many complainers who have unrealistic expectations, don't understand the logistics of the market, make threats, kill the profitability of most of their transactions, and generally make us board members look like idiots,.. then some will simply send you out another watch free of charge...

This has been my experience...

However it's a two way street,.. and we need to understand, that any one of us, represents every one of us...

This concept used to be more prevalent, however now it seems that our relationship with the our dealers is turning sour..

Where the fault lies, is up for conversation...

we've all complained about QC but it's never boosted.

In the past we've tried several times to convince the collectors to get better quality reps and more honest advertising. Little has changed since.....

Again, this is not the normal world where manufacturers compete on quality and service on an open market. So you have to get your way around it or stick to gens.

• 2 months later...

some days ago i placed an order with andrew(trustytime) and i had "funny" episode:

first i got this message

<<Dear Sir/Mdm

Thank you for your purchase! We have received your order and will process your order for you.

You will receive a tracking update within 3-7 working days. We will get the watch you ordered and do a full testing for about 6-24 hours before we pack and ship it out. >>

after 23minutes i got a new message:

<<EMS sent in package:

EA*********CN

Thanks>>

maybe we got a better service from some dealers, than from others...but in fact most of them are just "white" lies

Edited by daytona1980