When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

stripping threads on crownguards

Tom Hawkes

whose threads on the holes for the CG stripped?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. whose threads on the holes for the CG stripped?

• happened
    • never happened

Hi everyone.

I am curious about how likely it is that the threads beneath the crownguard will strip.

I used the search function but I couldn't find many related posts. Just that some try and put epoxy in the holes to repair them..

I removed the crownguard on an older 111h of mine and didn't have a problem reattaching it for 4 or 5 times so far.

I just got a 112h and removed the crownguard because it was a little misalligned. I put some loctite in the holes to be on the safe side and reattached it and had no problems.

Then someone told me that the metal that is used for the case was really soft and that removing the CG one or two times would be enough to permanently damage the threads.

I did a quick search on the board and even found a post where the CG just fell off while not even touching the screws, but by the pressure the lever is putting on the screws. :o

So if I had no problem removing the screws and putting them back in with some loctite, is it likely that they will just strip by using the lever? Because the lever is really tight and puts good pressure on the crown..

I can't stop worrying that the CG will just come off while winding the watch in the morning or so.. <_<

my watchmaker reworked always these crown-guard holes.

i've bought a lot of this stainlaess steel screws - 2,0mm diameter, 4,0mm thread-length, cylindric-head.

the case-hole-depth is ca. 4,0mm. the standard rep screws have a thread-length of 3,0mm.

so, my watchmaker shortens the new screws to 3,5 - 3,8mm thread-length and rework the cylindric-head to a round-head.

my problem with the little screws is forever eliminated.

rolli

I really don't get it. What is the point in buying a watch with sapphire crystal, water resistance, swiss movement and so on, which are all just serving one purpose: to make the watch more reliable and expand its lifetime, then spend another 300$ to get the watch serviced, superlumed and whatever mods can be done, when the [censored]ing crownguard will just fall off as soon as the watch arrives at your doorstep.

That is ridiculous. If I were producing a product, rep or gen, and that product would fall apart as soon as you try to use it and transform several hundred dollars to useless junk in a single second, I would be deeply ashamed. I suggest harakiri, mr. factory owner..

I have owned more rep PAMs than I can remember and I have never had one stripped thread on any watch - either CG or lug screw and, believe me, I have had all of the CGs off and on again, swapped with each other and upgraded to Jimmy Fu's etc. Maybe I have just been lucky so far. After saying this I will probably mess one up tonight swapping a strap or something.

I have owned more rep PAMs than I can remember and I have never had one stripped thread on any watch - either CG or lug screw and, believe me, I have had all of the CGs off and on again, swapped with each other and upgraded to Jimmy Fu's etc. Maybe I have just been lucky so far. After saying this I will probably mess one up tonight swapping a strap or something.

Same here <_<