When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can anyone comment on this tourbillon movement?

wj94

Is this a run of the mill tourbillon movement or something better than the chinese $500-level stuff? I don't know much about these movements other than they're sweet....and yes, I know this picture isn't that great and more would help, sorry. Any help appreciated, thanks.

tourb1.jpg

Definitely better than the run-of-the-mill tourbillon movement, but what's run of the mill about a tourbillon, even $500 level Chinese? The one pictured is the more expensive Asian center tourbi usually selling for $1,200 + as opposed to the Asian "carousel" tourbi that goes for $599 most of the time after a search.

The asians haven't yet copied more than the single axis tourbi, more than one axis is asking for a $50,000 + price tag, if the Chinese do it they will still probably command at least many X thousand dollar prices.

Good starter information from Pix's review of his recent tourbi purchase. Educate yourself if you're interested.

These watches are a major price point/risk/reward delimma for me. $1200 for a replica tourbi...quite a badge of honor to own one...but what about repairs and service...spare parts...employing a watchsmith with enough skills to work on one who doesn't have a problem working on replicas etc...

Too many nice gens out there at this price to justify it although the thought of owning a movement that costs $20,000 in entry level tourbi gens will always pull at me.

This one is supposedly German made and it's not a rep, so I was curious if the quality may be anything better than what we can get from our dealers for $500-600....thanks for the comments. Any other input is also appreciated.

This one is supposedly German made and it's not a rep, so I was curious if the quality may be anything better than what we can get from our dealers for $500-600....thanks for the comments. Any other input is also appreciated.

I would wager German cased or retailed...chinese made.

Movement is definitely not German made but Asian. The quality would be the same as you could get from our dealers, however you could not get this centre tourbi from our dealers for $500-$600. They would charge more as it would cost more for them to procure.