When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Rolex 72B Movement for 6263 on ebay!

Guest Sql_pl

Wonder if he knows about DW cases B)

Obviously, not. And I am not going to tell him either. But I am also not going to spend $25k when I can convert a generic V72 for 1/10th of that & the result would look & function the same as the movement in the auction. But for that rare wealthy collector with an empty gen 62xx case, it might be a good deal (as long as the movement in the auction is not a conversion itself). The seller does have a (limited) history with high end Rolexes & similar watches, so it is probably legit. But, knowing what I know, I would be crazy to bid on a bare movement like this without having it appraised by a knowledgeable 3rd party.

________

On 2nd thought -- How could a gen 72B have possibly lost its case & ended up going to auction by itself????????? I agree with Iceberg, something smells VERY fishy.

If the movement was shot, damaged, rusted, etc., so badly that the gen owner was forced to replace it (which would have had to been done quite some time ago, since these movements have not been made for many years), then this auction might make sense. But having a bare 72B in near pristine condition (and knowing what we know about conversions, DWs, etc.), this story just does not hold water. I think this is probably a conversion like some of us have in our DWs & this guy is using the 'I Will Buy Your Case' rouse to give his story some credibility. Poppycock.

Guest avitt

I think it's legit, for the following reasons:

1. It looks good.
  2. I've never seen a reworked VJ72 with a Breguet overcoil.
  3. The dial side engraving is usually overlooked on franken movements,
  4. It's not pristine - There's quite a bit of corrosion evident on the dial side components.

There's a good chance that this one is an overhauled service replacement.

I've never seen a reworked VJ72 with a Breguet overcoil.

The dial side engraving is usually overlooked on franken movements,

If I saw this movement in a known-gen watch, I would take it as is. But a few images (followed by Phong's comments) from jewelryandwatch along with the seller's thin storyline leads me to think otherwise

t_plate%20block%20100e-1.jpg

'The price for exchange Main Plate only

You have to send us your old main plate

to exchange' --Phong

(Phong also told me he can engrave anything you want on the plate.)

balance%20bridge%2072b-722%20.jpg

'Complete balance bridge with genuine Rolex jewels units and genuine stud, The price exchange with your

old Valjoux 72 balance bridge only, you have to send us your old balance bridge' --Phong

DSCN9990.JPG

'You able to send your balance wheel to us to modify

and install genuine stars, this parts for 727, 722, 72B

Note: Must have screw balance wheel, This price for exchange or modify only' --Phong

Guest avitt

The main plate I hadn't noticed before. I am aware that Phong sells the other parts pictured, including the bridges.

However, I haven't seen anyone who will actually supply the Breguet overcoil hairspring. This was used almost exclusively by Rolex.

This is a reference picture showing the bend in the coil:

coilrefky5.jpg

...Now, the eBay pictures aren't very clear, but I still believe they show evidence of the Breguet coil:

coil1ae9.jpg

coil2ig9.jpg

Because the Breguet overcoils can only be formed by highly skilled technicians, they are rare and expensive...and the one part that is always missing from Valjoux movements that have been doctored to resemble their Rolex counterparts.

I'm sticking with my original assessment...Although at $25k, there's no f'in chance I'll put my money where my mouth is ;)

Avitt -- you could be right about the Breguet overcoil, but I remain unconvinced that a pristine gen Daytona 62xx movement just happened to get separated from its gen Daytona 62xx case & ended up going solo in an ebay auction. A more likely scenario is that the owner (or modder) was unable to locate an aftermarket dial without give-away flaws (welcome to the club), so he decided to cut his losses & part out the bare movement for a quick $25k instead of trying to hold out for an $80-$150k buyer who is looking for a complete watch. The more I ponder that premise, the less legitimate that auction appears.