When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproof watches ?

Spy

I am looking to but an Omega PO in Orange for the holidays.

I would like to wear it in teh pool and sea for swimming.

Which delaers pressure test their watches ?

Unless a dealer gives you pictures or video of your watch getting pressure tested - and perhaps with evidence, like a piece of paper with your name on it. Otherwise, why believe what is said? You won't be happy on holiday with a leaky watch!

I think Eurotimez does this... I hear he sends photos, so request photos of the pressure test as well !

T*K used to do this as well I believe.

Other dealers say they do but ... well read the "little white lies" thread first, before paying for an unseen service.

and freddy is right.

your best bet is to find a watchmaker near you that you can trust... get him to regrease the gaskets and close it tightly and pressure test.

-Dont pay extra for waterproofing from the dealer. Take it someplace local, and do as Chronus stated.

-Do check your caseback upon arrival. Many times they are loose enough to spin with your fingers. Search the forum for tape ball method.

I am looking to but an Omega PO in Orange for the holidays.

I would like to wear it in teh pool and sea for swimming.

Which delaers pressure test their watches ?

Dealers???? What dealers? We have no dealers here!

Your best bet, regardless of stated water resistance claims from whomever is to buy a watch with a screw down crown with one or more o-rings and a screw in caseback with gasket. Grease these seals yourself and tighten the caseback down well. I have to tell you that PO's are notorious for case tube stripping.

My thoughts on reps in water are well known. I think you should consider your watch a disposable item if you are going to use it in a water enviornment on a regular basis. Some designs are more inherently resistant than others but you really are throwing caution to the wind when submersing your replica watch

Many times they are loose enough to spin with your fingers. Search the forum for tape ball method.

If the caseback is loose, it was probably installed with 1 of those balls. You really need to use a proper caseback tool if you want to be sure your case is sealed.

Thanks guys.

I think I might drop this idea and get a cheapo waterproof gen watch !

Seiko divers are terrific...automatic, fantastic lume, bulletproof and at an average of $125-$175...they are affordable and not a heart breaker should anything go wrong. I have a Gen Omega SMP Chrono and a Tag Aquaracer. Neither of them see water. My 10 year old Seiko goes into the drink without complaint year in and year out.

BTW...don't fall into the trap of watches without screw down crowns claiming 50 to 150 meters of water resistance. They will fog with regular water use. Only a 200M rated diving watch is really designed for submersion.