When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another PAM 188 on Strapmaster

Watchmeister

With all the great posts on 188's I decided to join the club. This one is on an uncommon Strapmaster. It is about as modded as it can be and has way too much money into it. And no I am not as good a guy as Carl. I am not giving this one away. :lol: This one has old case, low serial number so the case back is fine without "Luminor" on it, second generation dial with relume, hand-painted hands, single-sided AR, gen crown, revised crown guard and datewheel. I also added a couple of shots comparing it versus the closest gen I have on hand. Needless to say, this is a Ziggy special. And I have to add - big congrats to Promotersf on his latest acquisition ! Very nice buy. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

IMGP1993.jpg

IMGP1991.jpg

IMGP1996.jpg

IMGP2000.jpg

IMGP1936.jpg

IMGP1939.jpg

IMGP1937.jpg

IMGP1941.jpg

Guest porsche356a

WOW :Jumpy: I never realised the earlier GEN daylight model dials werent as bold as the later ones. This makes me think how real close to Gen these are with all these Mods. Thanks and wear it well K-

IMGP1939.jpg

Beautiful pair Kruz.

I have done all the same mods to my Asian 7750 based 188. Regretted never getting the 7753 to start but I have had no problems and still love my 188 after 3+ years.

Now that 162 :wub: That is the Grail Chrono

Caseback came on the watch. It was the 31st 7753 188 made. It was only later on that I learned that a small number of the gens did not have the Luminor on the back as they transitioned from the 162 to the 196 and 188. The inherent problem with the 188 rep dial was that they did not redo the dial font or number placement when doing the 188. It was based off the original 162. If you look at the 162 above you will see that it is very similar. On the gen 188 they moved the numbers and markers in to allow for more space between the dot and the number and for thickening of the font.

Wow, those two are nice Warren! Great 162, I know you were on the hunt before finding the right deal...I got a great deal(we'll see, the watch hasn't arrived yet) on my 188 but the fully modded rep looks fantastic. I would have been happy to have either the gen which is coming or the fully modded one. Your watch looks amazing.

It's funny, I've owned almost all the 7753 PAM chronos...the 196, 250, and 251...and my favorites are the original 196 an 188. The dial with the arabic numbers do it for me and it just looks classic. I always regretted not getting the 188 back in the day from Eddie Lee but it was during my early days of collecting. I now follow the principle that if you like it, go for it. If it doesn't suit you, you can always sell it and share it with other members.

Alright, I better get of RWG before I waste my day away daydreaming about Panerais...

:victory:

P-

Congrats on the purchase. If the price is close to what we discussed you got a great deal. And I agree that I prefer the 188 and 196 to the 250 and 251. I like the contrast of the polished and brushed and prefer numerals as well. I don't like the dots on the 251 at all. Save them for the subs (in tritium of course).