When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Planet Ocean 4th Edition - Helium Valve

Chronus

I've had a look at the Omega Planet Ocean 4th Edition and it seems like the (purely cosmetic) Helium valve does not screw down fully.

I've taken a pic that rocket posted in another thread (hope you don't mind) where you can see that there is a gap between the valve and the case. It also happens in the orange bezel version. I'll post pictures when I figure out where to upload them to.

Here is rocket's picture.

76578-31452.jpg

Hope this makes some sense as it's been bugging me. :bicycle:

hmmm...mine seems to seat closely to the watch case..

here is another pic from the back...check it out.

76582-31451.jpg

If it was a pic of a mystery girl then I would have to charge you a royalty fee :p:p

That's not a gap - at least not on mine. I think what you're seeing is a shadow resulting from a difference in angle and height between an angled surface of the case and the back of the He valve crown.

exactly.

I'll post pictures tomorrow after work, should get to some sleep before a long day at work... it's almost 6am here :(

If anyone has found this problem, please let me know.

What does the HE valve do? how to use it?

When doing EXTREME deep dives divers need to prepare before going under in a compression tank filled with a gas mixture containing helium (helps them avoid nitrogen toxicity). During return from long dives at these extreme depths, the helium in the watch needs somewhere to escape from to equalize pressure. The helium valve is a spring loaded mechanism which lets the watch equalize in pressure during return to the surface (which can take days). In a Gen, or rep with a functioning valve the watch should still be water resistant according to spec even when the valve cover is unscrewed, because the spring mechanism holds the valve closed unless the pressure inside gets too great.

Ignore the He valve for most people...if you need it you'll already know all about it.

Again, on the gen the cover does NOT screw down all the way to the case. If it did, it would indicate that the cover was tight against hte case edge, rather than being tight against the valve tube itself.