When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Huh?!? Two types of UPO's ?

jeroen1985

Where did those cases come from? Photos of the pearl, dial, and movement might be helpful.

Without measuring, my UPO from last year (great looking pearl positioned .5mm too low, wrong logo, higher He valve, Swiss ETA) seems to have the thinner bezel. Maybe you have the new case to fit the phony Chinese ETA?

Let's slap micrometers on these things.

Thnx for the responses,

I can confirm that both are having the same UPO dial. The case with thicker bezel comes from PT (UPO). I bought this one from Scotty and he bought it last year from PT.

The case with thinner bezel comes also from PT but I bought this one myself in jan. 2008.

I will do some measurement today!

Today I went to a local AD to check the bezel and case of the PO. What I saw was really surprising. The older UPO case (the one with the thicker bezel and different lughorns) is the correct one.

In my opinion the newer UPO's aren't so good as the older ones.

The most overused letter in the language in reference to rep watches is: "U"...to ostensibly denote "ultimate"...It's mostly marketing bull$hit....Especially when these clowns add the "Lite" tag to denote that the "U" isn't really "ultimate" after all, but indeed somewhat "I"...or "inferior"!!!

As a relative "old timer" in the rep scene, I'm amused, but I'm also a bit concerned when I see the newbies getting an old fashioned "hosing" by these "snake oil" vendors!!

The true "ultimate" version of ANY watch is the one available at the AD's store....Everything else is "sub ultimate" IMNSFHO!! :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:;)

Especially when these clowns add the "Lite" tag to denote that the "U" isn't really "ultimate" after all, but indeed somewhat "I"...or "inferior"!!!

Uhm, I guess I'm the clown then as it was I that coined the term "Lite" in my review of J&A's limited edition Asian 45mm PO.

LOL, glad you enjoyed that Rolexman! Actually my reason for dubbing that watch the UPO "Lite" was that the watch was identical to the UPO but for the movement. IMO there has not been a "Lite" watch since as the now substitute mineral crystals, plastic spacers, and drop the AR. I really would like to see cheaper "Lite" versions in the future and more expensive (true) ETA versions. But you never know. Dealers seem pretty comfortable misleading us about movements and there seems to be very little concern from members about it, so thing are likely to go down that path.