When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

make me feel better pls guys :~(

hi guys how are ya.. man i feel so bad and down today.. so i thought well the only thing that'll make me feel better is if i buy another watch.. however around 3 months ago i promised myself not to buy another watch until next yr.. but i buckled and i just spent another $330 on a watch .. what should i do? i'm having a purchase dissonance :~(.. anyone wanna make me feel better?

im [censored] scared that my gf and my family will scream at me.. and think that i'm some dumb crazy maniac person who buys watches (yes they think it's only "watches".. and im a loser for being obsessed with them).. so yeh like im having weird feelings :S

Armin,

I think at least one person should point out that they might have a point. I don't know the details of your circumstances so I am speaking (as most of us here are) from ignorance. But I know myself and I have a very obsessive personality. I sometimes waste lot of time on new hobbies that consume all of my thoughts. I read and talk compulsively about the subject of my obsession and find all kinds of reasons to justify my actions.

You said you had sworn not to buy any more watches until next year. The fact that you made such a promise to me suggests maybe you had a reason to but the brakes on your spending. Not everyone can afford to buy lots of reps or at a high frequency - sometimes we must delay gratification in order to take care of other more important responsibilities first. If you have other responsibilities and are neglecting them to feed an obsession with watches you may have a problem.

People use the term "addiction" jokingly but for some people (myself among them) it is entirely possible to develop unhealthy and even destructive obsessions with just about anything. I have a dysfunctional personality and if I give it free reign it will wreak havoc in my life. If my family and partner are upset because my obsession is causing me to spend money I really shouldn't and then be secretive about my behavior, something is very wrong.

I have no idea if you really have a problem or if your family and partner are just overly controlling. Perhaps you have adequate purchasing power to take care of all your responsibilities and enjoy your hobby as well. I don't know. But I have no doubt that I am not the only one on the boards who has this tendency. In many cases the only difference between them and me is that I KNOW I have an obsessive nature and that makes it somewhat easier to come back to reality when someone close to me says, "John, please look at what is going on..."

I hope you are feeling better and if my comments don't apply to you then please discard them as necessary. If, however, they strike a cord somewhere in you, please don't ignore it. Behavioral disorders affect a lot of people, they are nothing to be ashamed of, and in most cases can be dealt with effectively. And they in no way make one a loser - simply a person with a problem that like all problems must be dealt with.

Your friend,

JohnG

as to jdavis :)... lol mate... i'll see wat i can do with growing a pair eh? :p.. nah btw which famous ppl are into watches? if u dont mind me asking

[/quote

Sylvester Stalone

Glenn Beck

Bill Clinton

Brad Pit

Kobe Bryant

Phil Mickelson

Just to name a few......

Buy your GF some John Mayer CD's. This guy is a big watch collector and sometimes even posts on gen fora. I think he owns some rare vintage Rollies.

Interesting. I saw a full page picture of him and Jen Aniston in People magazine, he was wearing a newman daytona.

I made a thread a while ago about "unsupportive family and friends" some good replys were made-

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=48863&hl=

It may take some time for them to understand, but if you love a hobby, and they love you, then middle ground will be reached. There will always be those people that constantly judge you, at the end of the day you have only yourself to answer to. Make sure your bills are paid first, please. My girlfriend wasn't fond of the hobby at first. I made twice the money when I started this, too. I wish I would've bought more when I had the chance.

I've got the bug pretty bad lately. She saw me looking around online last night. We've been emailing each other at work today, and I said something about getting another watch, her reply?

"Get a new one whenever you want loviepants, I know you want the Omega."

Last night before bed I was making her see the lume on all my watches in the dark, after putting them under this high powered flashlight. She was guessing in the dark, just by the lume "thats the Panerai! thats they Breitling! easy, its the Tag... Hey, thats not a watch, what is that?! :D"

It gets better. It sucks not being rich like I think a lot of our fellow members must be! Go buy gens you cheap bastards! :lol::p

Watches are jewelry to me and when it comes to my jewelry, I'm just like a woman. Never enough.

I agree.. I don't wear any other form of jewelry.... nothing... no chains, rings, earrings or anything... only thing i have is a titanium bracelet and my watches.

I agree.. I don't wear any other form of jewelry.... nothing... no chains, rings, earrings or anything... only thing i have is a titanium bracelet and my watches.

Same here. Titanium bracelet, watches! Weird.

I occasionally wear 1/4ct square cut diamond studs in my ears, too. Not all the time though.

I know myself and I have a very obsessive personality. I sometimes waste lot of time on new hobbies that consume all of my thoughts. I read and talk compulsively about the subject of my obsession and find all kinds of reasons to justify my actions.

You and me both.... don't get me started on football :lol:

We need dr. sssurfer to solve our problems :)