When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 7750 Chrono issues

ViceAdmiralJon

I posted some questions here a little while back on how to care for my first rep (with a 7750 movement) that was on its way. I'm happy to report it made it to my house without issue (although it took about 15 working days)! :D

Unfortunately....all is not well with my watch. :huh: The chrono is having some problems, here's what happens....

--The chrono won't reset. This problem first occurred about an hour after i unwrapped the watch.

--If i push the start/stop button, the chrono will start/stop just fine.

--If i push the reset button while the chrono is stopped, the chrono wont reset, but rather start up again.

--If i simply leave the chrono stopped, the watch will eventually stop ticking (anywhere from 10sec-several minutes after the chrono is stopped). Once i start the chrono again, the watch will continue ticking normally. As a result, the chronos have been running non-stop since i got the thing.

--I've had the watch about a week and a half, the symptoms have not changed.

I bought it from Lawrence, and he states his products have a 90-day warranty. I'm sure he would honor it and help fix/replace the watch....but the thing is i just don't want to send it right back to Malaysia right away! It took forever to get here...i suspect if i sent it back to get it replaced, i'll be a month without a watch! :yucky:

And it is a beauty....movement issues aside, i'm very impressed.

So, movement gurus...ideas on what could be going on? Is this something it should be sent back to the dealer for, or should i send it to a local watchsmith? If it may be something easy/simple/cheap to fix, i'd be inclined to have it fixed locally rather than shipping it all the way back to Malaysia!

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

hmm. doesnt sound right. do you need to use the chrono? i know some people use their chrono on their rep all the time...

i dont bother using it. if you dont have to use it...i would suggest not to use it. the watch you got is an older rep,

so the mvmt could also be used. if you really like the watch you could send it off to get serviced and it will be good

to go for years. or you cold always send it back. not sure why it took so long for you to get it...should be around a week.

This is the watch...

http://www.houseofsouvenirs.com/tagheuerswiss_009.htm

Tag Heuer Carrera Racing Chrono

I'm not positive on exactly what movement is in there. From what i've been able to figure out, most of these reps priced at this level have the 'new' Asian 7750 in them. However, it could be different. I'll see if Lawrence knows for sure.

Here's Lawrence's email response....

Jon,

the ones you have is the old 7750, new 7750 28800 bph is only available for certain models only.. especially carrera tt orange second hands & carrera s/s with orange second hands.

You need to do winding to the crown to make the chronograph works, the buttons on top right are for start/stop & the button on bottom right is reset.. the small second hand subdial at 9 will always works.. you can try doing it again .

As you have said that you can't reset right? can you try to do this? try to turn the bottom button slightly, just a bit only, & see if you can do reset.. if this works, this means that the push button is bend & cannot connect with the inner plate pusher.. let me know?

thanks

Lawrence

Against my better judgement, i've been hand winding the watch on and off all day....far far more hand winding than i've ever done (as i read that hand winding is bad for an Asian movement). Surprisingly, this did make a difference! I've had the chronos stopped all day as well, and the watch is still working.

However, i still can't reset them.

The reset button feels like it has no resistance to a push whatsoever. The start/stop button has a definite 'click' to it when pressed (and it works) but the reset button is completely 'soft' when depressed (and it doesnt work). Make sense?

In my (very...make that extremely) limited movement knowledge, this would point to the reset lever being misaligned/broken/bent/etc....

Thoughts? :brow:

Edited by ViceAdmiralJon

• 1 month later...
This is the watch...

http://www.houseofsouvenirs.com/tagheuerswiss_009.htm

Tag Heuer Carrera Racing Chrono

I'm not positive on exactly what movement is in there. From what i've been able to figure out, most of these reps priced at this level have the 'new' Asian 7750 in them. However, it could be different. I'll see if Lawrence knows for sure.

I actually recently received two reps from a dealer (not one from this site) that have the same issues you're describing here -where they are both chronos (one is a tag carrera and the other is a Speedmaster), but they both have non-functioning chrono dials. The top buttons have a click (sort of) which only advances one of the dials about 1/12 of a turn, while the bottom one does the same to a separate chrono dial. The primary second hand continuously runs. I'm not sure if this is how they were intended to function, however, it wasn't how they were advertised, although for the price I wasn't expecing too much. The watches look good at least and do keep time fine.

I'm hoping to find some higher quality reps that hopefully have some degree of QC applied prior to shipping through this site. We'll see how that turns out. B)

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

I've got a problem with my A7750, but not similar to this. It powers a B.Bentley 6.75 (secs at 3, big date) and the chrono minute totaliser switches the minute between 58 to 59. is there any way to fix this to switch between 59 to 60?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yodap-

The minute totalizer advance mechanism on the 7750 isn't a really precise one. To change the trip point would be a tough job with a very fine pair of tweezers and an even finer touch, under a loupe or a microscope, after you take off the rotor and the winder plate.... if yours trips at 58-59, I'd say it's good and leave it alone!

.....More on topic with the original poster- I'd be curious as to whether ViceAdmiralJon ever resolved his problem with the chrono reset. What happened, Jon?